Re: Glossotechnia

  • Jim Henry
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 19, 2013
      On Mon, Feb 18, 2013 at 1:31 AM, Daniel Demski <dranorter@...> wrote:
      > Topicality (Grammar): Each sentence has a topic and comment, distinguished
      > by word order, affix, particle, or another mechanism.
      > Topicality (Express a Category): Coin a method for expressing topicality.
      >
      > Or, just the second card? Or, just a generic Express a Category card,

      > The reason I don't like having something like the first card is because
      > then all these category markings would be obligatory. I want someone to be

      What about something like this:

      "Specify how, when and whether [agency / topicality / definiteness /
      ... / wildcard grammatical category ] is marked. By affix, mutation
      or separate particle? (Coin one or more affixes or particles.)
      Mandatory or optional? On which types of word?"

      --
      Jim Henry
      http://www.pobox.com/~jimhenry/
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 19, 2013
        On Tue, Feb 19, 2013 at 6:08 PM, Jim Henry <jimhenry1973@...> wrote:

        > What about something like this:
        >
        > "Specify how, when and whether [agency / topicality / definiteness /
        > ... / wildcard grammatical category ] is marked. By affix, mutation
        > or separate particle? (Coin one or more affixes or particles.)
        > Mandatory or optional? On which types of word?"
        >
        > --
        > Jim Henry
        > http://www.pobox.com/~jimhenry/
        > http://www.jimhenrymedicaltrust.org

        Come to think of it I have never played an "add inflectional category" card
        and then had someone follow up with an additional inflection (invariably
        someone creates a past tense and nobody creates any others). So "coin one
        or more" sounds like it would be just fine. :)