Updated Jarda numbers page

  • Herman Miller
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 18, 2013
      No, the numbers 1-10 haven't changed (except for the updated spelling of
      the Romanization). But I realized that now that Jarda's on a Sangari
      world, it needs more words for duodecimal numbers. I decided to keep the
      original octal system just to be different. (Maybe it's an East-West
      cultural difference.) But when Jarda speakers need to count in
      duodecimal, now they have the words to do it.

      http://www.prismnet.com/~hmiller/lang/Jarda/numbers.html

      Fortunately I already had words for all the basic numbers from 1-12. Now
      all I need is words for higher powers of 12. Here they are:

      ģŭn 12^2 (144)
      kaf 12^4 (20,736)
      mŏś 12^8 (429,981,696)

      That should be enough for most practical purposes, since you can combine
      these (źêvģŭnkafmŏś = 12^15, and that's a pretty big number).
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 18, 2013
        Minor question: What's to prevent _JaGkovRom ģağkôvṛôm (3*6+8) means "26"_ from being interpreted as 3*(6+8) i.e 3*14= 42?

        In Gwr, also octal, there would be a word division after "twenty".

        Ah well, chaq'un a son gout.........

        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 19, 2013
          On 2/18/2013 11:31 PM, Roger Mills wrote:
          > Minor question: What's to prevent _JaGkovRom ģağkôvṛôm (3*6+8) means
          > "26"_ from being interpreted as 3*(6+8) i.e 3*14= 42?

          For one thing, "6+8" would actually be written "8+6" (always with the
          larger number on the left if you're adding). But as I remarked on the
          web page, the calculation is always from left to right. So you group the
          first two numeric roots together, add or multiply, then group the result
          with the next root, and so on, until you reach a classifier. For
          3*(8+6), you'd need to separate the 3 from the 8+6 with the classifier
          "ģê": "ģağģê ṛômkôv" [ɟaɣɟe ɻomkov].

          In practice, multiplication is almost exclusively used with powers of 8
          or 12 on the right. Forms like "ṛalkôṛ" (2*9) are atypical enough, and
          "ģağģê ṛômkôv" would be considered weird (like the English equivalent
          "thrice fourteen").