Re: How many conlangers are there in the world? (WAS Re: conlanging couples enumeration)

  • MorphemeAddict
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 9, 2013
      On Sat, Feb 9, 2013 at 9:22 PM, Arthaey Angosii <arthaey@...> wrote:

      > On Sat, Feb 9, 2013 at 5:48 PM, Sai <sai@...> wrote:
      > > However, my friend Yonatan Zunger brought up[1] an interesting
      > > question: how many conlangers are there, total?
      > >
      > > So how many of us are there? (And what proportion are queer?)
      >
      > But the *really* important question is: How many of us are left-handed
      > bearded Lithuanians??
      >

      > Not enough.

      stevo

      > --
      > AA
      >
      > http://conlang.arthaey.com

    • Mathieu Roy
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 10, 2013
        I wish there was a dating website for conlanger, haha XD I wish I'll find a girl who likes conlanging :) anybody interested? hahaha :P

        Mathieu

        > > However, my friend Yonatan Zunger brought up[1] an interesting
        > > question: how many conlangers are there, total?
        > >
        > > So how many of us are there? (And what proportion are queer?)
        >
        > But the *really* important question is: How many of us are left-handed
        > bearded Lithuanians??
        >

        > Not enough.

        stevo

        > --
        > AA
        >
        > http://conlang.arthaey.com

      • BPJ
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 11, 2013
          As a variation I tried to get my kids involved without success by
          introducing them to The Hobbit and Tolkiens writing systems at the 'right'
          age. The only hint that my only biological child has inherited my
          inclinations is that he learnt English very well very early and that he
          likes to imitate accents in both Swedish and English. One of his (half)
          brothers showed some interest in shorthand for a while which perhaps was a
          small infection of glottomania. My wife is facinated when I point out more
          or less ancient Germanic loans in Finnish, but that's about it. Has anyone
          ever got their children to share their interests?! ;-)

          /bpj

          Bearded ambidextrous Sueco-Polono-Ukranian -- close but not quite!

          Den söndagen den 10:e februari 2013 skrev Sai:

          > I forgot Erin & Logan Kearsley in the list.
          >
          > However, my friend Yonatan Zunger brought up[1] an interesting
          > question: how many conlangers are there, total?
          >
          > ZBB has 2412 registered users. CONLANG-L has 920 subscribers. LJ
          > conlangs has 701; FB conlangs ~900; G+ conlangers ~138. There's
          > unknown overlap and duplication on all those, and an unknown
          > proportion of conlangers who don't know about and/or don't participate
          > in the online community.
          >
          > So how many of us are there? (And what proportion are queer?) Maybe 5
          > couples isn't actually a small number, considering.
          >
          > Also, what're the attempt and success rates of conlangers trying to
          > get their (not-previously-conlanging) partners involved? Given the
          > paucity of such couples, I have to presume the success rate is pretty
          > abysmal. :-/
          >
          > - Sai
          >
          > [1] https://plus.google.com/u/0/103112149634414554669/posts/hQxeizKUaLS
          >
          > On Sat, Feb 9, 2013 at 11:41 AM, Sai <sai@... <javascript:;>>
          > wrote:
          > > * Speaking of conlanging couples, what's a full enumeration? (Given
          > > the sparsity, let's be maximally generous with what counts.)
          > >
          > > I know of:
          > > Bob & Nora LeChevalier, creators of Lojban
          > > Irina & Boudewijn Rempt, creators of Valdya, Andal, Charya (also,
          > > Boudewijn authored http://valdyas.org/apologia.html)
          > > Brett Williams & I X Key, creators of 5B
          > > Alex Fink & me, creators of UNLWS and Gripping
          > >
          > > Are there really only 4 such couples in the world?
          > >
          > > sources:
          > >
          > http://listserv.brown.edu/archives/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0205d&L=conlang&D=0&P=7851
          > >
          > http://listserv.brown.edu/archives/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind1003B&L=conlang&P=R13559
          > >
          > http://listserv.brown.edu/archives/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind1003D&L=conlang&P=R10475

        • MorphemeAddict
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 11, 2013
            Two of my three (now adult) kids have shown a sporadic interest in
            languages over the years, but none knows a second language nor any
            persistent interest in languages. It's always been a slight disappointment
            to me.

            stevo