Re: Koha

  • Herman Miller
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 7, 2013
      On 2/6/2013 10:49 PM, Anthony Miles wrote:
      > Koha is a German-derived language spoken on the Earth of the
      > "Eis-Lehre-Welt (ELW)" cosm of the Polycosm, the equivalent of all
      > the Pacific Ocean creoles on OTL's Earth. It started as an
      > slow-burning experiment in late 2011 to see how much of German syntax
      > could survive extreme simplification (most of it, as it turns out).

      I like this; it looks vaguely Pacific at first glance, but you can see
      the Germanic roots if you point them out. Interesting though that it
      appears to have /o/ but no /u/. (I'd have expected "muka" for "mother".)
    • Anthony Miles
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 12, 2013
        On 2/6/2013 10:49 PM, Anthony Miles wrote:
        >> Koha is a German-derived language spoken on the Earth of the
        >> "Eis-Lehre-Welt (ELW)" cosm of the Polycosm, the equivalent of all
        >> the Pacific Ocean creoles on OTL's Earth. It started as an
        >> slow-burning experiment in late 2011 to see how much of German syntax
        >> could survive extreme simplification (most of it, as it turns out).

        >I like this; it looks vaguely Pacific at first glance, but you can see
        >the Germanic roots if you point them out. Interesting though that it
        >appears to have /o/ but no /u/. (I'd have expected "muka" for "mother".)

        Na mi me'a ka ku 'ena ka voka ho Koha Elopa hi he'a. (It pleases me [schmeckt, not passt gut] that you can see the words from [European] German.). /u/ is a phoneme in Koha - the Tosa (pre-Koha) word for "mother" was 'ti muta'. Rule:
        u > o/_Ca#
        Note that /e/ does not exhibit this behavior.
        The vocabulary of Koha is a bit small, but it was used as a contact language, so KISS applies.
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 15, 2013
          --- On Tue, 2/12/13, Anthony Miles <mamercus88@...> wrote:

          On 2/6/2013 10:49 PM, Anthony Miles wrote:
          >> Koha is a German-derived language spoken on the Earth of the
          >> "Eis-Lehre-Welt (ELW)" cosm of the Polycosm, the equivalent of all
          >> the Pacific Ocean creoles on OTL's Earth. It started as an
          >> slow-burning experiment in late 2011 to see how much of German syntax
          >> could survive extreme simplification (most of it, as it turns out).

          >I like this; it looks vaguely Pacific at first glance, but you can see
          >the Germanic roots if you point them out. Interesting though that it
          >appears to have /o/ but no /u/. (I'd have expected "muka" for "mother".)

          Na mi me'a ka ku 'ena ka voka ho Koha Elopa hi he'a. (It pleases me [schmeckt, not passt gut] that you can see the words from [European] German.).

          RM That was my first impression too. Knowing a bit about Polynesian sound changes helped,....

          /u/ is a phoneme in Koha - the Tosa (pre-Koha) word for "mother" was 'ti muta'. Rule:
          u > o/_Ca#
          Note that /e/ does not exhibit this behavior.

          RM the u > o/ __Ca# is a common though sporadic change in Oceania. Also true of i > e /__Ca#. And to top it off, you can also have (sporadic again)
          a > o > __Cu# and a > e/__Ci#. Makes cognate-hunting a tricky operation :-)))

          The vocabulary of Koha is a bit small, but it was used as a contact language, so KISS applies.

          RM I found it interesting and rather amusing. Years ago, another conlanger and I tried to devise a Latin-Polynesian language (based on the idea of a lost Roman trading vessel), but it didn't get very far..... Polynesian sound changes produced way too many homonyms from the Latin.
        • Anthony Miles
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 19, 2013
            --- On Tue, 2/12/13, Anthony Miles <mamercus88@...> wrote:

            On 2/6/2013 10:49 PM, Anthony Miles wrote:
            >> Koha is a German-derived language spoken on the Earth of the
            >> "Eis-Lehre-Welt (ELW)" cosm of the Polycosm, the equivalent of all
            >> the Pacific Ocean creoles on OTL's Earth. It started as an
            >> slow-burning experiment in late 2011 to see how much of German syntax
            >> could survive extreme simplification (most of it, as it turns out).

            >I like this; it looks vaguely Pacific at first glance, but you can see
            >the Germanic roots if you point them out. Interesting though that it
            >appears to have /o/ but no /u/. (I'd have expected "muka" for "mother".)

            Na mi me'a ka ku 'ena ka voka ho Koha Elopa hi he'a. (It pleases me [schmeckt, not passt gut] that you can see the words from [European] German.).

            RM That was my first impression too. Knowing a bit about Polynesian sound changes helped,....

            /u/ is a phoneme in Koha - the Tosa (pre-Koha) word for "mother" was 'ti muta'. Rule:
            u > o/_Ca#
            Note that /e/ does not exhibit this behavior.

            RM the u > o/ __Ca# is a common though sporadic change in Oceania. Also true of i > e /__Ca#. And to top it off, you can also have (sporadic again)
            a > o > __Cu# and a > e/__Ci#. Makes cognate-hunting a tricky operation :-)))

            The vocabulary of Koha is a bit small, but it was used as a contact language, so KISS applies.

            RM I found it interesting and rather amusing. Years ago, another conlanger and I tried to devise a Latin-Polynesian language (based on the idea of a lost Roman trading vessel), but it didn't get very far..... Polynesian sound changes
            produced way too many homonyms from the Latin.

            AM:
            I remember that conlang. It looked like fun. There was a lively discussion about the diachronics of 'porcus'.
            Originally, I was going to have other rules besides u>0/_Ca#, includig i>e/C_# but too many words ended up /CaCa/. Which might be fun if I had planned to expose Koha to a Semitic verbal system (not in the ELW, however; that's for German stuff), but I wanted to keep the experiment simple. I realized early on that the small vocabulary would be a problem; Koha speakers solve those ambiguities with adjectives. The singular form is usally the one that survives in Koha, unless the signular form is really, really short (/mena/ not /ma/).

            For those who are curious, Tosa had three cases, but massive confusion between the default cases of a Philippine language and default cases of Tosa led to the disappearance of case altogether.

            Avikahea! (Aufwiedersehen!)