Re: Typographic Bliss

  • Patrick Dunn
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 5, 2013
      I saw the subject line and was hoping to discover a spiritually fulfilling
      font, but this is good too.

      On Tue, Feb 5, 2013 at 12:51 PM, Gary Shannon <fiziwig@...> wrote:

      > Now that Unicode is available to the world, we have a large range of
      > interesting typographic squiggles that can be used in a conlang
      > orthography. So what if various Unicode squiggles were chosen to
      > represent the symbols in Blissymbolics? Then we'd have a type-able
      > version of Bliss that might look something like this (to pick a few
      > random arbitrary examples from the first few pages of the Bliss book.)
      >
      > Π (door)
      > >Π (entrance)
      > Π> (exit)
      > !Π> (emergency exit)
      > ─ (earth)
      > O (sun)
      > Ω (day)
      > Ω5 (Thursday)
      > Ҁ (knife, cut)
      > /Ҁ (plow (earth knife))
      > Ш (grain)
      > ҀШ (harvest)
      > Λ (man)
      > Δ (woman)
      > A (person)
      > A1 (I, me)
      > A2 (you)
      > Î (pen, write)
      > Ξ (letter, note, memo)
      > > (to, toward, in the dirction of)
      >
      > A1 Î Ξ > A2 (I write letter to you)
      >
      > ≈ (water)
      > Ж (medicine)
      > ЖΛ (doctor)
      > <o> (eye, see, look)
      >
      > Just a random brain dump in search of feedback.
      >
      > --gary

      order from Finishing Line
      and
    • Sam Stutter
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 6, 2013
        I've always thought of Λ and V as being male and female, so the Δ is only going to confuse me :)

        Sam Stutter
        samjjs89@...
        "No e na'l cu barri"

        On 5 Feb 2013, at 18:51, Gary Shannon <fiziwig@...> wrote:

        > Now that Unicode is available to the world, we have a large range of
        > interesting typographic squiggles that can be used in a conlang
        > orthography. So what if various Unicode squiggles were chosen to
        > represent the symbols in Blissymbolics? Then we'd have a type-able
        > version of Bliss that might look something like this (to pick a few
        > random arbitrary examples from the first few pages of the Bliss book.)
        >
        > Π (door)
        >> Π (entrance)
        > Π> (exit)
        > !Π> (emergency exit)
        > ─ (earth)
        > O (sun)
        > Ω (day)
        > Ω5 (Thursday)
        > Ҁ (knife, cut)
        > /Ҁ (plow (earth knife))
        > Ш (grain)
        > ҀШ (harvest)
        > Λ (man)
        > Δ (woman)
        > A (person)
        > A1 (I, me)
        > A2 (you)
        > Î (pen, write)
        > Ξ (letter, note, memo)
        >> (to, toward, in the dirction of)
        >
        > A1 Î Ξ > A2 (I write letter to you)
        >
        > ≈ (water)
        > Ж (medicine)
        > ЖΛ (doctor)
        > <o> (eye, see, look)
        >
        > Just a random brain dump in search of feedback.
        >
        > --gary
      • Michael Everson
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 6, 2013
          On 5 Feb 2013, at 13:51, Gary Shannon <fiziwig@...> wrote:

          > Now that Unicode is available to the world, we have a large range of interesting typographic squiggles that can be used in a conlang orthography. So what if various Unicode squiggles were chosen to represent the symbols in Blissymbolics?

          No, we're going to do it properly. A first draft was made in 1998 and there should be further work done soon.

        • MorphemeAddict
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 6, 2013
            On Wed, Feb 6, 2013 at 9:26 AM, Michael Everson <everson@...>wrote:

            > On 5 Feb 2013, at 13:51, Gary Shannon <fiziwig@...> wrote:
            >
            > > Now that Unicode is available to the world, we have a large range of
            > interesting typographic squiggles that can be used in a conlang
            > orthography. So what if various Unicode squiggles were chosen to represent
            > the symbols in Blissymbolics?
            >
            > No, we're going to do it properly. A first draft was made in 1998 and
            > there should be further work done soon.
            >
            > There's no reason an interim version can't be done before a proper Unicode
            version is available, if it ever is.

            stevo

          • Gary Shannon
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 6, 2013
              I just copied as closely as I could what Bliss had for "man" and
              "woman" in his book. He used the "Mars" and "Venus" glyphs for "male"
              and "female".

              --gary

              On Wed, Feb 6, 2013 at 5:36 AM, Sam Stutter <samjjs89@...> wrote:
              > I've always thought of Λ and V as being male and female, so the Δ is only going to confuse me :)
              >
              > Sam Stutter
              > samjjs89@...
              > "No e na'l cu barri"
              >

              > On 5 Feb 2013, at 18:51, Gary Shannon <fiziwig@...> wrote:
              >
              >> Now that Unicode is available to the world, we have a large range of
              >> interesting typographic squiggles that can be used in a conlang
              >> orthography. So what if various Unicode squiggles were chosen to
              >> represent the symbols in Blissymbolics? Then we'd have a type-able
              >> version of Bliss that might look something like this (to pick a few
              >> random arbitrary examples from the first few pages of the Bliss book.)
              >>
              >> Π (door)
              >>> Π (entrance)
              >> Π> (exit)
              >> !Π> (emergency exit)
              >> ─ (earth)
              >> O (sun)
              >> Ω (day)
              >> Ω5 (Thursday)
              >> Ҁ (knife, cut)
              >> /Ҁ (plow (earth knife))
              >> Ш (grain)
              >> ҀШ (harvest)
              >> Λ (man)
              >> Δ (woman)
              >> A (person)
              >> A1 (I, me)
              >> A2 (you)
              >> Î (pen, write)
              >> Ξ (letter, note, memo)
              >>> (to, toward, in the dirction of)
              >>
              >> A1 Î Ξ > A2 (I write letter to you)
              >>
              >> ≈ (water)
              >> Ж (medicine)
              >> ЖΛ (doctor)
              >> <o> (eye, see, look)
              >>
              >> Just a random brain dump in search of feedback.
              >>
              >> --gary
            • BPJ
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 6, 2013
                But there are Mars and Venus/(fe)male signs in Unicode:

                U+2640 FEMALE SIGN
                UTF-8: e2 99 80 UTF-16BE: 2640 Decimal: ♀

                Category: So (Symbol, Other)
                Bidi: ON (Other Neutrals)

                U+2642 MALE SIGN
                UTF-8: e2 99 82 UTF-16BE: 2642 Decimal: ♂

                Category: So (Symbol, Other)
                Bidi: ON (Other Neutrals)

                There are signs for various minority persuasions as well.

                On 2013-02-06 17:08, Gary Shannon wrote:
                > I just copied as closely as I could what Bliss had for "man" and
                > "woman" in his book. He used the "Mars" and "Venus" glyphs for "male"
                > and "female".
                >
                > --gary
                >
                > On Wed, Feb 6, 2013 at 5:36 AM, Sam Stutter <samjjs89@...> wrote:
                >> I've always thought of Λ and V as being male and female, so the Δ is only going to confuse me :)
                >>
                >> Sam Stutter
                >> samjjs89@...
                >> "No e na'l cu barri"
                >>

                >> On 5 Feb 2013, at 18:51, Gary Shannon <fiziwig@...> wrote:
                >>
                >>> Now that Unicode is available to the world, we have a large range of
                >>> interesting typographic squiggles that can be used in a conlang
                >>> orthography. So what if various Unicode squiggles were chosen to
                >>> represent the symbols in Blissymbolics? Then we'd have a type-able
                >>> version of Bliss that might look something like this (to pick a few
                >>> random arbitrary examples from the first few pages of the Bliss book.)
                >>>
                >>> Π (door)
                >>> !Π> (emergency exit)
                >>> ─ (earth)
                >>> O (sun)
                >>> Ω (day)
                >>> Ω5 (Thursday)
                >>> Ҁ (knife, cut)
                >>> /Ҁ (plow (earth knife))
                >>> Ш (grain)
                >>> ҀШ (harvest)
                >>> Λ (man)
                >>> Δ (woman)
                >>> A (person)
                >>> A1 (I, me)
                >>> A2 (you)
                >>> Î (pen, write)
                >>> Ξ (letter, note, memo)
                >>>
                >>> A1 Î Ξ > A2 (I write letter to you)
                >>>
                >>> ≈ (water)
                >>> Ж (medicine)
                >>> ЖΛ (doctor)
                >>> <o> (eye, see, look)
                >>>
                >>> Just a random brain dump in search of feedback.
                >>>
                >>> --gary

              • Michael Everson
                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 6, 2013
                  On 6 Feb 2013, at 09:58, MorphemeAddict <lytlesw@...> wrote:

                  >> No, we're going to do it properly. A first draft was made in 1998 and there should be further work done soon.
                  >
                  > There's no reason an interim version can't be done before a proper Unicode version is available, if it ever is.

                  Then use the 1998 catalogue in the Private Use Area. Trying to map everything to existing Unicode characters seems to me to be a waste of time.

                • Gary Shannon
                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 6, 2013
                    On Wed, Feb 6, 2013 at 11:10 AM, Michael Everson <everson@...> wrote:
                    ---snip---

                    > Then use the 1998 catalogue in the Private Use Area. Trying to map everything to existing Unicode characters seems to me to be a waste of time.

                    Probably so. On the other hand, we have so many perfectly good
                    natlangs that inventing a new conlang seems like a waste of time too.
                    ;-)

                    --gary
                  • Patrick Dunn
                    Message 9 of 12 , Feb 6, 2013
                      Heh. That was my thought too. "Waste time! Perish the thought! I have
                      conlangs to construct!"

                      On Wed, Feb 6, 2013 at 2:20 PM, Gary Shannon <fiziwig@...> wrote:

                      > On Wed, Feb 6, 2013 at 11:10 AM, Michael Everson <everson@...>
                      > wrote:
                      > ---snip---
                      > >
                      > > Then use the 1998 catalogue in the Private Use Area. Trying to map
                      > everything to existing Unicode characters seems to me to be a waste of time.
                      > >

                      > Probably so. On the other hand, we have so many perfectly good
                      > natlangs that inventing a new conlang seems like a waste of time too.
                      > ;-)
                      >
                      > --gary

                      order from Finishing Line
                      and