Re: VERY URGENT : Saarland Radio is looking for some Saarlander who can sing "I should be so lucky" in Quenya

  • Roman Rausch
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 5, 2013
      > thought the challenge was to translate the text as well, which would have made it more difficult, but it looks like they had translations
      >into Quenya and Sindarin already.

      Oh no, my mistake - they did translate it themselves. Then I stand in amazement of the degree of pervasion of Elvish in Saarland…

      >The boy used "valin", which I discarded because Tolkien used it later with a meaning of "power" (cf : the Valar).

      I'd do so too, for the same reason.

      >Indeed, I can't agree with the use of "hary-" here as it means "possess"

      This usage is actually attested in _merin sa haryalye alasse_. Well, probably... Look here:
      http://www.elvish.org/elm/merin.html

      >Yé haryuvanye mána melmenen
      >Nai nauvan analassëa melmessë

      That's at least two correct translations (although the latter doesn't seem to fit the metre..), so they'd win in my book. ;-)

      On the radio, the guy sang Quenya _Nye óran valin melmesse_ where _or-_ should be an impersonal verb (and Quenya <y> should be pronounced [j], not [y]); and Sindarin _Ae boe nin alwed ni vereth_ (?) which I understand as 'I have to be happy at a feast'. :-) The girl I couldn't understand at all except for _heren_ 'fortune'.