ASL writing systems (and other OT subjects)

  • Mathieu Roy
    Message 1 of 44 , Jan 31, 2013
      What do you think of the different writing systems that have been created since 1825? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Sign_Language#Writing_systems Which one is your favorite and why?

      What is the percentage of people signing in ASL that can also write in this language?

      [The rest of this email is off topic. But your answers would be appreciate.]

      Some of my friends and I are starting to learn ASL. So I have some questions related to this language.

      As far as you know and in your experience...

      How many people in Quebec know ASL in comparison to LSQ?

      How good can a LSQ (language des signes du Québec) signer understand an ASL signer and vice versa?

      How many people know ASL as a second language? and as a second signing language? (in the world)

      Is there a higher, lower or similar percentage of people in the world communicating/knowing a sign language (not necessarily ASL) now than let's say 50 or 100 years ago?

      Are non-deaf people generally welcome in deaf communities?

      What are your favorite web sites and/or books to learn ASL?
      I have started to watch some videos here: http://www.youtube.com/user/BYUFanatic/videos
      And I also saw these websites: http://www.aslpro.com/, http://www.alldeaf.com/, and http://www.handspeak.com/word/search.php

      Thanks,

      Mathieu
    • Leonardo Castro
      Message 44 of 44 , Apr 5, 2016

        > In Sweden ca 1980 there was a TV program aimed at teaching hearing children
        > to sign, or at least motivating them to learn it, complete with materials
        > schools could order. It didn't catch on very well. As I remember it it
        > mostly resulted in boys giving the finger in class!

        Haha... I guess that would only work with prepared teachers. Just like
        there are Mathematics and Geography teachers, there should be Sign Language
        teachers. I don't know if that would be viable in terms of allocated
        resources, but it would be great if most people could sign. Hearing loss
        would no more be that scary. My grandmother is losing hearing and it's
        frustated that most people of our family can't communicate with her very
        well.

        Actually, Brazilian deaf community, as told by my sign language teacher,
        advocates that Libras (Brazilian Sign Language) should be a co-official
        language in Brazil. The first step in that direction they did is creating
        more university courses to form sign language teachers and sign language
        "training courses" (or whatever expression fits here better) for state
        employees.