Re: Loglan[g] VS Natlang

  • Leonardo Castro
    Message 1 of 36 , Jan 23, 2013
      2013/1/18 MorphemeAddict <lytlesw@...>:

      > One of the meanings (the primary one, now, I'd say) is that America is just
      > the USA. It's one part of the Americas, but USA and America are synonyms to
      > most people.
      >
      > stevo

      On Brazilian streets, although "americano" is usually synonym of "born
      in the USA", "América" is rarely "the USA" except for those who are
      clearly mimicking foreigners. The USA is simply "Estados Unidos", and
      very rarely "Estados Unidos da América" (I guess many non-educated
      because don't even know that there's the part "da América" in "Estados
      Unidos").

      [...]

      2013/1/22 Chris Peters <beta_leonis@...>:

      >> From: mathieu.roy.37@...
      >>
      >> I've heard people saying that since Chinese had shorter words for numbers,
      >> they could count faster. I've also heard people saying Chinese were better
      >> musicians in general because it was a tonal language IIRC. IDK if either of
      >> these claims are accurate.
      >

      > I've heard something related to the music statement: that native speakers of tonal languages are more likely to have perfect pitch.

      Other claims I have heard:

      (a) English speakers are more intelligent than many others because the
      ortography of English is more irregular, so an English speaker will
      have trained more their* brain by the age they become literate.
      * singular their.

      (b) Japanese people are more intelligent because they have to deal
      with too many writing systems (including hundreds of Chinese
      characters as some other people also learn).

      (c) People whose number names are more analytical are better at maths.
      So, someone who speak a language where 11 is read as "ten-one" would
      be better than someone whose language have an irregular name for 11.
      As six in Wolof is "five-one" and sixteen is "ten-five-one", they
      should be the best mathematicians. In fact, I have known a very
      intelligent Wolof-speaker Physicist, but I doubt this is a rule.
    • Leonardo Castro
      Message 36 of 36 , Jan 25, 2013
        2013/1/24 Adam Walker <carraxan@...>:
        > I once knew a Russian guy named Vladik. He was a music major, an
        > excellent pianist. He cloud put on the most convincing New York
        > accent, sounded like he was born in the Bronx! But when he was just
        > speaking, he had the "typical" Russian accent with odd vowels and
        > unneeded palatalizations and overly aspirated consonants. I never
        > quite understood that.
        >
        > Adam

        Singing is a more controlled situation than normal conversation.
        Singers knows the words they'll sing previously, so they can have a
        better control over their accents. It's also interesting that many
        stutterers don't stutter while singing.

        Singers usually mimic characters and other singers' voices and nuances
        very well, but this ability is not always the same in normal speech. I
        could imitate Louis Armstrong singing "What I wonderful world" but I
        could not imitate his voice while discussing Quantum Physics in
        English.