Re: Quoting dialog

  • Charles W Brickner
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 21, 2013
      -----Original Message-----
      From: Constructed Languages List [mailto:CONLANG@...] On Behalf Of George Corley

      3) If you are inventing a conscript, feel free to create whatever punctuation you like, so long as it has proper rules and seems reasonably natural. Also realize that you actually don't need punctuation at all. Or spaces between words. Or majuscule vs miniscule forms. Many, MANY scripts do just fine without some or all of those things.

      In the beginning Senjecas did not use punctuation, other than a space between words. Senjecas is SOV, so when you come to the indicative finite verb, voilà, you’ve reached the end of the sentence. In formal documents an interpunct was often used between words and may still be found in legal documents.

      But, eventually, it was felt that some form of punctuation was needed. So the following was adopted: a period for a comma, a colon to mark the end of a sentence, and three vertical dots (⋮) to mark the end of a paragraph.

      Neither question marks nor exclamation points are used in transliteration. The Senjecan question is marked morphemically by suffixing “-r” to the final finite verb. The Senjecan exclamation is marked lexically by following the final finite verb with “kè”.

      The Senjecan quotation is signaled by the use of “ṁa(ṙ)” before and after the quoted words. In transliteration I use the guillemets ‹...› and «...».

      For my own personal use, I separate subordinate clauses and absolute constructions from the main sentence with an em dash (—).

      Transliterated Senjecas is unicameral, i.e., no capital letters.

      Charlie