Re: Verb Articles

  • David Edwards
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 16, 2013
      My Feayran does something like this. It's a bit different because nowadays
      Feayran is supposed to lack a morphosyntactic noun/verb distinction, but
      back when it _did_ have both nouns and verbs, the particle hé could be
      added after either nouns or verbs to flag given/common-ground
      information—i.e., something that the speaker expects the audience to
      already be aware of or agree with.

      I went_to store *hé*
      I went to the store (you know the particular store)

      I went_to *hé *store
      I went to the store (remember?)

      Artichokes are gross *hé*
      artichokes are gross (and I expect that you think so too)

      ~ David Edwards
      Stanford University, Class of 2012
      B.S., Symbolic Systems (Natural Language) Candidate