30-Day Conlang project RUN AMOK!

  • Gary Shannon
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 16, 2013
      So I was re-working the grammar of my 30-day conlang when I decided it
      would be interesting to use the regex search/replace in my text editor
      to re-write the several hundred sentences I had already translated.
      But of course the regex search wasn't quite up to the task or
      re-arranging the word order in some constructions. Either that or I'm
      not clever enough to figure out how.

      So anyway,I ended up writing a C++ program to make the changes. But
      then it occurred to me that I could write a program to translate from
      English directly into my conlang. Of course that turned out not to be
      very easy either. So I broke it into two and then three passes. Now
      the first pass is an implementation of the Brill tagger. The
      intermediate tagged English then gets re-grammarfied, and on the third
      pass, relexified from a glossary. Of course, only the first pass is
      written so far, so I have a long ways to go.

      Anyway, the project will probably be more than 30-days, but if and
      when I'm successful I'll be able to create an unlimited corpus of
      great works of literature translated into my conlang. That, of course,
      is trivial and uninteresting unless the conlang itself is interesting
      and very unlike English. One big advantage is that by re-writing the
      pass-3 relex glossary I can completely change the lexicon and
      instantly re-translate should I so desire.

      I'd also like to be able to make the grammar parameter driven (That's
      just a maybe). Of course I am designing the grammar around the need to
      be able to translate from tagged English algorithmically. It may or
      may not work, but it's been a lot of fun so far.

      --gary