Exonyms / Exonyms for conlangs was Re: OT: Native Americans and Other Recent Immigrants

  • Padraic Brown
    Message 1 of 25 , Jan 7, 2013
      --- On Fri, 12/28/12, Leonardo Castro <leolucas1980@...> wrote:

      > I don't have a conworld nor a conculture, but I'm going to
      > take this
      > opportunity to ask if any of you have exonym(s) and
      > endonym(s) for
      > your conlang. And if the conlang name that you present to us
      > happens to be an exonym because the "real name" is too difficult.

      One conlang that I've presented in the past is Talarian, which is not the
      name the Talarians call it. They call it Tenxwwar Haryuça, or Noble Speech;
      but most foreigners call it by the name of the people. They call themselves
      "Talaryas", or Lords of the Land, and it is from that name that most other
      folks devise their names for the language.

      Tit for tat: regardless of whatever endonyms others have for their own
      languages, Talarians call them "Tenxxwar X" where X is their own special
      manglement of the name for the foreigners: Tenxwwar Ûstumuça =
      Avantimannish (which the Avantiman call "Thietish"); Tenxwwar Rûmuça =
      Rumeliard (the Rumelians call it Ruman); Tenxwwar Nûmiteruça = Lucarian
      (even though Numiter- seems to be derived from the western Reman name
      Numidia). They also call it Tenxwwar Parazanuça, which makes a little more
      sense, given that modern Reme/Kemeteia is almost synonymous with its home
      contintent, Phazzanea.

      Padraic
      Message 2 of 25 , Jan 9, 2013
        Hallo conlangers!

        On Tuesday 08 January 2013 00:28:39 Padraic Brown wrote:

        > --- On Fri, 12/28/12, Leonardo Castro <leolucas1980@...> wrote:
        > > I don't have a conworld nor a conculture, but I'm going to
        > > take this
        > > opportunity to ask if any of you have exonym(s) and
        > > endonym(s) for
        > > your conlang. And if the conlang name that you present to us
        > > happens to be an exonym because the "real name" is too difficult.
        >
        > One conlang that I've presented in the past is Talarian, which is not the
        > name the Talarians call it. They call it Tenxwwar Haryuça, or Noble Speech;
        > but most foreigners call it by the name of the people. They call themselves
        > "Talaryas", or Lords of the Land, and it is from that name that most other
        > folks devise their names for the language.

        The speakers of Old Albic called their own language _Elbirin_,
        which simply means "Elvish" (they called themselves _Elbi_,
        sg. _Alba_, the ultimate source of both _elf_ and _Albic_).
        "Old Albic" is of course a name scholars of a later age when
        the language had long ceased to be spoken (but some descendants
        survive) attached to it.

        --
        ... brought to you by the Weeping Elf
      • Padraic Brown
        Message 3 of 25 , Jan 9, 2013
          --- On Wed, 1/9/13, Jörg Rhiemeier <joerg_rhiemeier@...> wrote:

          > > One conlang that I've presented in the past is Talarian,

          > "Old Albic" is of course a name scholars of a later age
          > when the language had long ceased to be spoken (but some
          > descendants survive) attached to it.

          Ah, scholars. A whole nother kettle of fish are scholars! They call
          Talarian an "Eastern Eosphoric Aryan" language of the "Younger-Puntish
          Sprachbund". Well, "tongôbundund" is the word they use, but the idea's the
          same.

          Padraic
        • Douglas Koller
          Message 4 of 25 , Jan 9, 2013
            > Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2013 18:38:43 +0100
            > From: joerg_rhiemeier@...
            > Subject: Re: Exonyms / Exonyms for conlangs was Re: OT: Native Americans and Other Recent Immigrants
            > To: CONLANG@...

            > > --- On Fri, 12/28/12, Leonardo Castro <leolucas1980@...> wrote:
            > > > I don't have a conworld nor a conculture, but I'm going to
            > > > take this
            > > > opportunity to ask if any of you have exonym(s) and
            > > > endonym(s) for
            > > > your conlang. And if the conlang name that you present to us
            > > > happens to be an exonym because the "real name" is too difficult.

            The Chinese call Géarthtörs 贵岛/貴島 (gui4dao3) which is as deliciously close in both sound and meaning as one could ever hope to get, considering. The jury is still out on whether Géarthnuns is to be rendered 贵语/貴語 (I'm a little squeamish), though I am told that Chinese bookstores are having trouble keeping their 贵汉词典/貴漢詞典 (gui4han4 ci2dian3) in stock as those puppies are just flying off the shelves.

            Kou
          • Adam Walker
            Message 5 of 25 , Jan 9, 2013
              Can't. Stop. Laughing.

              Adam

              On 1/9/13, Douglas Koller <douglaskoller@...> wrote:

              >> Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2013 18:38:43 +0100
              >> From: joerg_rhiemeier@...
              >> Subject: Re: Exonyms / Exonyms for conlangs was Re: OT: Native Americans
              >> and Other Recent Immigrants
              >> To: CONLANG@...

              > The Chinese call Géarthtörs 贵岛/貴島 (gui4dao3) which is as deliciously close
              > in both sound and meaning as one could ever hope to get, considering. The
              > jury is still out on whether Géarthnuns is to be rendered 贵语/貴語 (I'm a
              > little squeamish), though I am told that Chinese bookstores are having
              > trouble keeping their 贵汉词典/貴漢詞典 (gui4han4 ci2dian3) in stock as those
              > puppies are just flying off the shelves.
              >
              > Kou

            • BPJ
              Message 6 of 25 , Jan 10, 2013
                On 2013-01-09 19:36, Padraic Brown wrote:
                > --- On Wed, 1/9/13, Jörg Rhiemeier <joerg_rhiemeier@...> wrote:
                >
                >>> One conlang that I've presented in the past is Talarian,
                >
                >> "Old Albic" is of course a name scholars of a later age
                >> when the language had long ceased to be spoken (but some
                >> descendants survive) attached to it.
                >
                > Ah, scholars. A whole nother kettle of fish are scholars! They call
                > Talarian an "Eastern Eosphoric Aryan" language of the "Younger-Puntish
                > Sprachbund". Well, "tongôbundund" is the word they use, but the idea's the
                > same.
                >
                > Padraic

                The naming situation with my Romlang Rhodrese is rather
                complicated. The (wo)man in the street calls it _borgonzay_,
                and most foreigners also call it _Bourginois, Burgeinsc,
                Burgentsch, Borgonzese_ and the like. It is only philologists
                who are aware that the national language was not originally
                the dialects of the central _Viegle Borgonze_ provinces,
                but was based on the _rhedriè_ (sg. _rhodrià_) dialects of the
                southern provinces around Rhuadre (Rhône).
                Everybody not in the know thinks they are terrible snobs,
                but they already have to keep the Romance _borgognay_
                dialects and the Germanic _borgondiunc_ (_Burgundionisch,
                Burgendisc_, etc.) language apart, so they gladly acknowledge
                the fact that the national language is clearly _rhodray_.

                * * * *

                The western and Southern Sohlob languages are hardly called
                _Linjeb_ 'southern (language)' and _Yahab_ 'southern (language)'
                by their own speakers, but I havent figured out the endonyms yet.

                /bpj
              • James Campbell
                Message 7 of 25 , Jan 12, 2013
                  --- On Fri, 12/28/12, Leonardo Castro wrote:
                  > I don't have a conworld nor a conculture, but I'm going to
                  > take this
                  > opportunity to ask if any of you have exonym(s) and
                  > endonym(s) for
                  > your conlang.

                  Jameld-speakers are surrounded by French- and German-speakers, who I would
                  imagine call both the language and the people "Jameldais" and "Jameldsch"
                  respectively. I'd have to check with native speakers to be sure though.

                  Jameld-speakers call themselves "Jameldts" (yes, that ends with the
                  notorious ts ligature, pronounced [S]), but they also use several terms for
                  themselves that relate to the area they live in, Zuraaland (the land
                  surrounding Zur-aa, the River Sauer):

                  Zuraz
                  Prinsinar (from the Princings, or historical administrative districts)
                  Threnbörgar ("Three-Castler", referring to the castle forts in the area).

                  James

                  ___________________

                  James Campbell
                  james@...
                  www.zolid.com • “Boring, but a cool boring.”
                  www.insertcrisps.com • Insert crisps to continue
                • Nikolay Ivankov
                  Message 8 of 25 , Jan 12, 2013
                    On Tue, Jan 8, 2013 at 12:28 AM, Padraic Brown <elemtilas@...> wrote:

                    > --- On Fri, 12/28/12, Leonardo Castro <leolucas1980@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > > I don't have a conworld nor a conculture, but I'm going to
                    > > take this
                    > > opportunity to ask if any of you have exonym(s) and
                    > > endonym(s) for
                    > > your conlang. And if the conlang name that you present to us
                    > > happens to be an exonym because the "real name" is too difficult.

                    I can't say for sure, how Sivarians call the speakers of Yanyarin, there is
                    not so much I know about the vocabulary of both languages yet. The thing
                    is, the both languages are phonetically incompatible. Sivarian phonology
                    consists entirely of ingressive voiceless consonants with fricatives
                    instead of vowels, and Yanyarin nearly entirely of vowels. I think Yanya
                    will call Sivarians something like heaven-people, since the sivarians were
                    those who "discoverd" their planet, and the most tolerant name of Yanya in
                    Sivarian language is something like day-people because of the properties of
                    their homeplanet.

                    The Sivarian itself is as vague notion as Nahua people and Belgian as the
                    name of the nation and Bahasa Indonesia as the name of the language. Svar
                    is a gas giant, with the its moon Kxal being the actual homeland of
                    Sivarians, and Tahn and Nalk the places from where the colonization of
                    outer space began. Thus, actual Sivarian is in effect a modification of one
                    of the languages of Nalk that just happened to be understood by a large
                    part of the diaspora. Thus, Sivarian is as good exonym for the Sivarians as
                    British would be an exonym for an Irelander, I presume.