Re: Medium-length translation text?

  • MorphemeAddict
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 31, 2012
      On Mon, Dec 31, 2012 at 11:04 PM, Gary Shannon <fiziwig@...> wrote:

      > On Mon, Dec 31, 2012 at 7:34 PM, Jim Henry <jimhenry1973@...> wrote:
      >

      > > "Alice in Wonderland" may be light reading, but with all the wordplay
      > > and logic-play, it's probably harder to translate than many other
      > > children's books. That's not to say you shouldn't try, of course.
      > > But it might not be the best place to start with a newish conlang that
      > > hasn't been tested on simpler texts yet.
      > >
      > > OOPS! That link was supposed to be:
      > http://fiziwig.com/conlang/resources/mcguffey_one.html
      >
      > --gary

      Gary, do you have those sentences available without all the pictures and
      headings? For me they just get in the way, and there are enough to be
      somewhat tedious to remove them.

      stevo
    • Padraic Brown
      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 1, 2013
        --- On Sun, 12/30/12, Ian Spolarich <mouton9113@...> wrote:

        > My conlang Adranik really needs to be
        > practiced and is beyond the
        > construction of simple sentences. The language is not really
        > well-suited
        > for Biblical translations, and poetry seems too difficult.
        > Does anyone know
        > of a good source for moderate-length texts that are neither
        > too advanced
        > nor too simple (i.e., the text incorporates many grammatical
        > features, such
        > as different tenses or aspects, adverbs, quotes or dialogue,
        > different
        > moods or voices, etc. etc.)? I'd really just like to test
        > out the more
        > advanced functions of the language in an extended context,
        > if that makes sense.

        The best suggestions have already been proposed: Aesop, Grimm, Anderson,
        McGuffey (and any other similar reader series -- there were quite a few
        of them!).

        I'd also propose the merry adventures of Robin Hood. In general, while
        there is long tale to be told, it is broken down into rather shorter
        chapters that are structured like individual tales. While I love Pyle's
        retelling, his prose and diction might be considerably too dense and
        deliberately archaic for what you're trying to do. However, I've recently
        come across Roger Lancelyn Green's retelling -- clean and simple (i.e.,
        deliberately modernising) prose, prose and diction suitable for a newish
        conlang seeking to flex its muscles, and it's a delightful read in its own
        right. While any given chapter is longer than even the longest of Aesop
        stories, they tend to be much shorter than a full Grimm tale.

        I recently went through a binge of translating into and creating original
        stories for Avantimannish (Germanic conlang in the World), and Aesop was
        definitely the first go-to for shortish tales. If you'd be interested in a
        longer traditional tale, without going to the standards, I'd be happy to
        lend you "Blackwolf, Red Robin Hood and the Three Pigs". It would be
        interesting to see what a different language and culture does with such a
        story!

        > Thanks!
        >
        > -Karl

        Padraic
      • Gary Shannon
        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 1, 2013
          On Mon, Dec 31, 2012 at 11:37 PM, MorphemeAddict <lytlesw@...> wrote:

          > Gary, do you have those sentences available without all the pictures and
          > headings? For me they just get in the way, and there are enough to be
          > somewhat tedious to remove them.
          >
          > stevo

          CTRL-A to select the whole web page.
          CTRL-C to copy it
          Open a simple plain-text editor like notepad or NoteTab and CTRL-V to paste.
          Since the plain-text editor can't handle pictures it just throws them away.

          It takes less than 30 seconds and you get exactly what you wanted.

          --gary
        • MorphemeAddict
          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 1, 2013
            On Tue, Jan 1, 2013 at 11:37 AM, Gary Shannon <fiziwig@...> wrote:

            > On Mon, Dec 31, 2012 at 11:37 PM, MorphemeAddict <lytlesw@...>
            > wrote:
            >

            > > Gary, do you have those sentences available without all the pictures and
            > > headings? For me they just get in the way, and there are enough to be
            > > somewhat tedious to remove them.
            > >
            > > stevo
            > >

            > CTRL-A to select the whole web page.
            > CTRL-C to copy it
            > Open a simple plain-text editor like notepad or NoteTab and CTRL-V to
            > paste.
            > Since the plain-text editor can't handle pictures it just throws them away.
            >
            > It takes less than 30 seconds and you get exactly what you wanted.

            Excellent. Thanks.

            stevo