Re: Consonant clusters

  • Larry Sulky
    Message 1 of 18 , Dec 30, 2012
      On Sun, Dec 30, 2012 at 10:43 AM, Patrick Dunn <pwdunn@...> wrote:

      > On Sun, Dec 30, 2012 at 1:41 AM, Alex Fink <000024@...> wrote:
      >
      > Man, I'da thought that voicing would carry forward, not be anticipatory.
      > Interesting and useful to know.

      In Russian, assimilation, whether to voiced or to unvoiced, is regressive;
      opposite of English, roughly speaking.
    • Benct Philip Jonsson
      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 1, 2013
        In Swedish voice assimilation is always devoicing in both directions.
        Granted Swedish lenis stops are actually voiced only between two vowels or
        a vowel and a sonorant but in compounds like _fotboll bakdel utgång_
        'soccer, back part/butt, exit' the assimilation is to the point that the
        second stop is aspirated!

        As for morphological salience counteracting cluster simplification it is
        probably not altogether uncommon. However it is not universal. The Swedish
        word _väst-kust-sk-t_ 'west-coast-ish-N.SG' is famous as a case of a
        monster final cluster and there are two morpheme boundaries in the cluster,
        but the word is actually normally pronounced ['v\Es:k8s:kt] although it now
        occurs to me that all three morphemes are preserved at least in reduced
        form.

        I guess syllable timing vs. stress timing might have a lot to do with
        clusters being preserved in some languages but lost in others. It should be
        noted however that Modern Greek has restructured all old stop + stop
        clusters into fricative + stop, although stop + stop have been reintroduced
        in loans from Ancient Greek.

        As for Greek /ks/- becoming /z/- in English it may be because something
        looking like _x_ was used as an abbreviation for final /Vuz/ in Old French.
        When the diphthongs that /u/ was part of monophthongized _x_ was perceived
        as a spelling for /z/, so I guess _x-_ /z/ is a case of mistaken graphemic
        identity.

        /bpj

        Message 3 of 18 , Jan 2, 2013
          On 01/01/2013 16:54, Benct Philip Jonsson wrote:
          [snip]

          > As for Greek /ks/- becoming /z/- in English it may be
          > because something looking like _x_ was used as an
          > abbreviation for final /Vuz/ in Old French.

          No - nothing to do with it.

          It is simply the modern English habit of dropping initial
          plosive at the beginning of 'awkward' compounds. I guess
          the habit began when native initial /kn/ changed to /n/ kin
          early modern English.

          Also to talk about initial Greek /ks/ becoming /z/ in
          English is IMHO misleading. Initial Greek ξ which was
          transcribed as _x_ that has become pronounced as /z/; and
          it's nothing more mysterious than the change of early modern
          English /gz/ --> current modern English /z/

          [snip]

          >> On Sat, 29 Dec 2012 17:12:04 -0600, Patrick Dunn
          >> wrote:

          [snip]

          >> In any case, probably in _written_ borrowings all bets
          >> are off. Despite an earlier thread on it I stìll have
          >> no clue why Greek initial [ks-] voices in English,
          >> when the by rights 100% parallel [ps-] doesn't.

          Strictly speaking, it doesn't. No Englishman (or English
          women) ever heard ancient Greek pronounced as ancient Greeks
          pronounced it. So to talk about a Greek sound shifting to
          something else in English is not very accurate.

          What we have here is simply a spelling pronunciation. Greek
          ψ was transcribed in Latin by _ps_ and continues to be so
          transcribed in English. Apart from the digraph _ph_,
          English _p_ is always either [p] or [pʰ], so initial _ps_
          got pronounced in early modern English as /ps/, and still
          pronounced that way in French till the present day.

          But ξ was transcribed not as _cs_ (and certainly not _ks_),
          but as _x_. It was then pronounced just as English (or
          French) pronounced Latin _x_, which, like the Latin _s_, got
          voiced between two vowels, i.e. /gz/. Of course, initial
          _x_ does not occur in Latin, but it was only a short step to
          general that _x_ before a vowel is /gz/, hence initial x- =
          /gz/. This was still the pronunciation being taught for
          ancient Greek when I learnt the language in the 1950s, and
          it is still the way that initial x- is pronounced in modern
          French.

          Thus all we have in current modern English is a
          simplification of early modern English pronunciation, i.e.

          ... with nothing to do with actual ancient Greek
          pronunciation, but spelling pronunciations based on
          contemporary pronunciations of Latin! ;)

          There ant no place like Sussex,
          Until ye goos above,
          For Sussex will be Sussex,
          And Sussex won't be druv!