Re: 10 vs. 12, was: Finger-counting

  • Nikolay Ivankov
    Message 1 of 59 , Dec 1, 2012
      On Fri, Nov 30, 2012 at 8:12 PM, George Corley <gacorley@...> wrote:

      > On Fri, Nov 30, 2012 at 11:37 AM, A. da Mek <a.da_mek0@...> wrote:
      >
      > > Well then, I'll just ask three SI related questions:
      > >> how many degrees are there in a circle?
      > >> how many seconds in an hour?
      > >>

      > > These examples show how much it is inconvenient when SI is not fully
      > > implemented. With the decimal degrees (1/100 of the right angle), minutes
      > > (1/100 of a degree) and seconds (1/100 of a minute), it was easy: 1
      > > kilometer = 1 new
      > > minute of latitude, 1 dekameter = 1 new second of latitude; and also
      > speed
      > > in km per new hour was equal to the speed in dekameters per new minute or
      > > in
      > > decimeters per new second.
      >

      > Of course, the mathematicians will still insist that radians are the best
      > measurement.

      They are.

      Mathematician :P
    • Nikolay Ivankov
      Message 59 of 59 , Dec 8, 2012
        On Tue, Dec 4, 2012 at 3:09 PM, taliesin the storyteller <
        taliesin-conlang@...> wrote:

        > On 11/29/2012 06:19 PM, Sam Stutter wrote:
        >
        >> Pints when measuring alcohol. ::cue extreme Northerner accent:: where
        >> I come from 1 pint of bitter = £1. THIS IS AS IT SHOULD BE. But,
        >> anyway, 1 pint is just the right amount to drink in one sitting -
        >> same goes for milk. Saying "I'll have 500ml of Hobgoblin please" will
        >> never work :)
        >>

        > Pff, you say you'll have half a liter of course, "halvliter" being just
        > about synonymous with "glass filled with cheapest lager you got, most
        > common size", in Norway. What is needed is a good term for beer that comes
        > in amounts less than that, also since smaller bottles varies between 0.33l,
        > 0.3l, 0.25l and 0.18l...
        >
        > And why is it so tricky to find good glassware that can fit a whole
        > halvliter with enough room for the head to boot? Hmpf.
        >

        > t.

        In Russia "pollitra" has made it from "half liter.GEN" into the feminine
        noun for a bottle of vodka. Sometimes a diminutive "pollitrovka" is also
        used. 0.25 is called "chekushka" derived from non-metric "chetufka" of
        246ml, so the transition kept the value almost precisely the same. I can't
        say what measure system is applied for beer, for I'm neither beer nor vodka
        drinker.

        Kolya