OT: NYC-Based Conlang Groups?

  • Zach Wellstood
    Message 1 of 57 , Sep 24, 2012
      liyaá' łí'!

      So, I've recently joined a brand-new club at NYU, the League of Linguistics
      Students; but, for me, there's something missing. I have always approached
      linguistics with a conlanger's point of view (as I'm sure a lot of you
      have!), but in this club and the linguistics department in general, I don't
      feel free to discuss conlanging. It either falls on deaf ears or no one
      even knows what I'm talking about. It seems to me that, apparently,
      conlanging is not "real" linguistics, even though everything I've learned
      has been via conlanging, and I would say I have learned quite a lot (with a
      lot more to go)! I bet others feel the same way, as well.

      Does anyone know if there is a NYC-based club/organization/group/anything
      of people who are focused on conlanging? What I'm envisioning is something
      like Marta Masferrer's conlanging club in Conlang: The Movie, though that
      might be a little idealistic. NYC's a big place, so I'm hoping.

      Thanks!

      Zach

      --
      ra'aalalí 'aa! - [sirisaá! <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conlang>]
    • Padraic Brown
      Message 57 of 57 , Oct 5, 2012
        Or to put it another way, sic transit gloria dialectorum...

        http://news.yahoo.com/scottish-man-dies-taking-towns-dialect-him-122022552.html

        Padraic