Re: Importance of good worldbuilding (was: What in the world is in the World?)

  • Paul Schleitwiler, FCM
    Message 1 of 31 , May 31, 2012
      There is online help for you to create your maps here
      http://www.cartographersguild.com/content.php?s=
      if you need it.
      They are a friendly group with tools, tutorials and advice.
      God bless you always, all ways,
      Paul

      On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 1:46 PM, BPJ <bpj@...> wrote:

      > On 2012-05-31 16:38, Padraic Brown wrote:
      >
      >> True, though not always so. Tolkien certainly drew his own, though I know
      >> some editions used others' maps. I draw my own maps.
      >>

      > Tolkien's maps were drawn by Tolkien, but not by himself!
      > It was Christopher T. who drew them from his father's
      > rough drafts, and certainly under his supervision.
      >
      > In my teens I drew lots of maps for their own sake.
      > Now my hands have deteriorated to the point that I
      > can't really draw anymore, but I have a pretty good
      > mental map of Sohldar, and keep meaning to at least
      > draw a rough version of it on paper; however I just
      > get frustrated when my hand doesn't go the way I want.
      >
      > I have done some laborious fiddling with existing maps
      > a few years ago, though:
      >
      > <http://melroch.se/lucus/**borgonze/pert_della_gagle.png<http://melroch.se/lucus/borgonze/pert_della_gagle.png>
      > >

      > /bpj

    • Eric Christopherson
      Message 31 of 31 , Jun 24, 2012
        On Jun 13, 2012, at 9:08 PM, Padraic Brown wrote:

        > --- On Wed, 6/13/12, Adam Walker <carraxan@...> wrote:
        >
        >> For the most part, people on SFF covers are white even if the characters
        >> in the book are not. We managed to come up with a bare handful of covers
        >> featuring non-white human faces, despite the fact that faces are on a
        >> very significant portion of SFF covers. I managed to come up with one
        >> cover featuring a Chinese face and two that feature American Indian
        >> faces (one of which is sequal to the other) and I just thought of one
        >> more with an African-American face, but as poorly as non-whites are
        >> represented in SFF stories, they are even more poorly represented on
        >> covers. It seems there maybe an industry opinion that books with
        >> non-white faces on the cover won't sell.
        >
        > Interesting! Next time I'm in the Shop, I'll make an informal survey. One
        > thing I wonder at is the assumption that non-whites are poorly represented
        > in SFF stories. I can't actually recall the skin tone of the vast majority
        > of SFF characters actually being addressed. Some are, to be sure, but
        > could it not be said equally true that it's simply our own biases (as
        > readers) that the stories all involve white people and not some other
        > colour? I also freely admit that I could simply be not remembering key
        > descriptions that are in fact regularly made in such stories!

        One of my favorite recent sci-fi books, _Spin_ by Robert Charles Wilson [spoiler alert] has a small group of humans colonize Mars, and their descendents evolve for the equivalent of tens (maybe hundreds?) of thousands of years into a race of very short people with dark, wrinkly skin. One of them comes to Earth (which for reasons explained in the book has not undergone tens or hundreds of thousands of years of development), and soon becomes a celebrity and even a messiah of sorts, especially among the darker-complected peoples of Earth. Although I thought that it was a cool idea for him to have that sort of specific following, I've always felt a little uneasy with the idea, like it's patronizing.