Re: R2D2 language

  • Patrick Dunn
    Message 1 of 42 , Apr 2 8:05 AM
      Well, in his defense, the alphabet was invented by someone else, who
      apparently introduced such abominations as a {c} and a {k} at the same
      time, etc.

      The grammar is mostly a code for English, but it does seem to have a few
      differences -- an inflected infinitive (but, strangely, no other
      inflections!). Tense is optional. Some prefixes and suffixes seem to have
      allomorphs, although the phonetic rules for when to use which are poorly
      defined. What's particularly Englishy is that this is an isolating
      language with a plural marker for nouns.

      The indefinite article is dropped other than for emphasis, which makes my
      head spin. When would one emphasize the indefinite article? Maybe if
      you're saying "no, seriously, plant this idea in your discourse model
      *now*."

      On Mon, Apr 2, 2012 at 9:37 AM, Armin Buch <armin.buch@...>wrote:

      > Am Montag, den 02.04.2012, 10:54 +0200 schrieb taliesin the storyteller:
      > > Conlang: Mando'a http://www.karentraviss.com/page20/page26/index.html
      >
      > A great example of "I created a language!!!". It comes with an
      > "alphabet" (A-Z), a "grammar" (which is basically a code for English),
      > and a lexicon (I didn't bother to look at it).

      order from Finishing Line
      and
    • Logan Kearsley
      Message 42 of 42 , Apr 4 5:57 PM
        On 4 April 2012 14:59, Adam Walker <carraxan@...> wrote:
        [...]
        > Well, since it has come up in two messages, I am going to respond.  I like
        > Eragon.  I have read the frist three books and have the fourth high in my
        > TBR queue.  The story is NOT LOTR though there is obvious influence.  It is
        > also not Star Wars or any number of other works, It is its own world with
        > its own rules and characters.  Yes, it has elves and dwarves but they
        > aren't Tolkien's elves and dwarves even though they share elements.  The
        > languages in Alagaesia could be more developed for my taste, but they are
        > enough to give the proper flavor to the world.  And the story is fun.

        Just to clarify my own position, I didn't mean to be passing any sort
        of judgment on Eragon here, as the book itself is somewhat irrelevant
        to the point I wanted to make. It's just provides a very convenient
        example of a particular kind of flawed reasoning among fans. Since
        lots of people do dislike it, those who *like* it have plenty of
        opportunity to defend it. Your defense is a reasonable one. Another,
        from my fiancee, is "It's a fun story and it has dragons, and I have a
        soft spot for anything with dragons." That allows a potential
        detractor to understand "OK, I guess you have different ideas of which
        aspects of the art are more important than I do, so that makes sense."
        A bad but extremely common defense is something like "well, it's
        pretty good for a 19 year old". To which one can only say "Good for
        him, I'm sure he's a great person, but what does that have to do with
        the art?"
        Generically, it's a fallacy of irrelevancy. And I see defense of
        Mando'a the same way. It adds flavor to a book. Great, if the
        publisher and the fans are satisfied, it's fulfilled it's goals and
        cannot be detracted in that context. But what does that have to with
        it's evaluation *as a conlang*? Nothing, neither for nor against.

        -l.