Re: Romániço

  • Padraic Brown
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 1, 2012
      --- On Wed, 3/28/12, Gary Shannon <fiziwig@...> wrote:

      > Everybody probably already knows
      > about this, but it was new to me, so
      > forgive me if I'm a day late and a dollar short.
      >
      > http://www.romaniczo.com/en_indiczo.html

      Nope, twas new to me as well! Though the language's creator says it all:
      "Romániço began as an attempt to teach Esperanto to friends ...
      Unfortunately, certain features of the language proved to be
      insurmountable hurdles for many of them ... until what began as Esperanto
      became so different that it needed its own written grammar and dictionary"

      It's little more than E-o trying to become I-a. :| There is a lot of
      English influence, for ex. in how compound words are formed exactly like
      English (pistolbater, nanojacter); perhaps too much to really call it
      "reunited Romance". And it simply doesn't have the feel of a Romance
      language (the verbal system is about as unRomance as a language can get),
      let alone an inter-Romance one. It feels much more like a slightly
      improved Esperanto.

      I do like the la v. il distinction in the articles -- individual v. class.
      That could be rather handy.

      I also like the informal style of presentation and the sometimes quite
      funny example sentences. About 5800 words in the lexicon -- pretty good
      size for what amounts to little more than a jokelang.

      Padraic