New Blog Post: Moten Part VII: Particles

  • Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1, 2012
      Hi everyone!

      If you follow my blog or the Conlang Aggregator, you'll have noticed that I
      updated it with a new post on Moten grammar. I did it a few days ago, but
      realised I hadn't properly announced it here. So let's correct that mistake
      right now! :)

      So here's the latest instalment of my Moten grammar series, this time
      devoted to those elusive little words called particles. You can read it by
      clicking on the link here:
      http://christophoronomicon.blogspot.com/2012/02/moten-part-vii-particles.html

      In this post you'll discover that if you stand next to someone and they
      shout [ekˈkeː], you'd better take a step back as you're stepping on their
      toes (and what are you doing standing so close to people anyway? ;) ), that
      dogs say "ufu!", and that [zuˈtuːn] is the sound of absolute silence.

      You will also discover how to handle those tricky little words called
      clitics, and you will learn why _opa_ isn't just a Greek exclamation :P .

      And clocking at 3778 words, this is one of the shortest Moten posts I've
      made so far, nearly half the size of the posts I normally write! So really,
      you've got no excuse not to read it right now! :P

      As usual, you can find my other posts about Moten here:
      http://christophoronomicon.blogspot.com/p/moten-language.html

      And also as usual, comments are more than welcome. I'm especially
      interested to know how you people handle onomatopoeia and interjections. I
      was blown away, many years ago, when I discovered that those things were
      language-dependent (even things that people consider instinctive, like
      cries of pain!), which pushed me to invent all those Moten interjections
      you can find on this post. I'd also like to know what you think about my
      treatment of coordination clitics, and whether their behaviour makes sense.

      Enjoy!
      --
      Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets.

      http://www.christophoronomicon.nl/