Re: Case Creation

  • Nikolay Ivankov
    Message 1 of 54 , Feb 2, 2012
      On Thu, Feb 2, 2012 at 9:37 AM, Nicole Valicia Thompson-Andrews <
      goldyemoran@...> wrote:

      > Grammatical case. Maybe I don't get the confussion.

      Well, Nicole, that;s the point. Mos people here are used with the notion of
      case as more or less a modification of the noun or a pronoun with respect
      to the verb. And this modification, in turn, may have many different
      meanings and may be represented by virtually anything. It may be a prefix
      to a word, a postfix, a change of sounds in the root, a cjange of a
      auxiliary word, such as article. As for its meaning, beside the usual cases
      You can fancy somethin like Boatative case, to mark that something is
      happening in the boat: I.BOA fish.INF = I'm fishing in a boat.

      Now we are just trying to undersand:
      1. whether Your audio case is the case in our meaning i.e. something
      modifying a particular noun (pronoun, adjective) , and
      2. What should it really mark.

      > Nicole Andrews
      >
      > Pen name Mellissa Green
      > Budding novelist
      >
      > ----- Original Message ----- From: "Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets" <
      > tsela.cg@...>

      Kolya
    • Anthony Miles
      Message 54 of 54 , Feb 24, 2012
        On Thu, 23 Feb 2012 01:21:33 -0600, Eric Christopherson
        <rakko@...> wrote:

        >On Feb 22, 2012, at 2:58 PM, Anthony Miles wrote:
        >
        >> I know I'm late to the game, but if you look under Samoan in

        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austronesian_personal_pronouns#Prot
        o-languages
        >> you'll see that there a "first person inclusive singular" which
        indicates
        >> emotional involvement on the part of the speaker.
        >
        >Cool, and cool list of pronouns. And I see there's a language
        >called Favorlang, which sounds like a slang term we might have
        >made up on this list.

        I sometimes play a little game where I take the name of a friend
        who has a birthday, examine the orthography and pronunciation,
        and try to generate enough of a grammar to wish them Happy
        Birthday in their very own conlang.

        Until I read the Austronesian article, I assumed the "first person
        inclusive singular" was an oxymoron. If "ta eat" means "I (first
        person inclusive singular) eat (and I am emotionally involved in
        the eating)", would "ma eat" mean "I (first person exclusive
        singular)eat (and you are emotionally involved in the eating, na
        na boo boo stick your head in doo doo)"?