Fwd: Re: Vilani

    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 8, 2011
      Hallo conlangers!

      This was meant to go to CONLANG, but it went to Roger, thanks to
      a Microsoftese mail user agent that fiddles with the Reply-To:
      line. Why can't people use RFC 822 compliant software?

      Also, I managed to find at least a pronunciation guide for Vilani,
      which does not contain any surprises:

      http://eaglestone.pocketempires.com/lang/vilani/Vilani_phonics.doc

      --
      ... brought to you by the Weeping Elf
      "Bêsel asa Êm, a Êm atha cvanthal a cvanth atha Êmel." - SiM 1:1
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 8, 2011
        On Tue, 8 Nov 2011 17:46:53 +0100, Jörg Rhiemeier <joerg_rhiemeier@...>
        wrote:

        >Hallo conlangers!
        >
        >This was meant to go to CONLANG, but it went to Roger, thanks to
        >a Microsoftese mail user agent that fiddles with the Reply-To:
        >line. Why can't people use RFC 822 compliant software?
        >
        >Also, I managed to find at least a pronunciation guide for Vilani,
        >which does not contain any surprises:
        >
        >http://eaglestone.pocketempires.com/lang/vilani/Vilani_phonics.doc

        It does contain a great surprise! Namely, there is no /t/, or indeed [t].
        And this doesn't appear an accidental omission; it squares with what's
        attested in the grammar. What's up with that?

        Alex
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 8, 2011
          Hallo conlangers!

          On Tuesday 08 November 2011 18:02:40 Alex Fink wrote:

          > On Tue, 8 Nov 2011 17:46:53 +0100, Jörg Rhiemeier <joerg_rhiemeier@...>
          >
          > wrote:
          > >Hallo conlangers!
          > >
          > >This was meant to go to CONLANG, but it went to Roger, thanks to
          > >a Microsoftese mail user agent that fiddles with the Reply-To:
          > >line. Why can't people use RFC 822 compliant software?
          > >
          > >Also, I managed to find at least a pronunciation guide for Vilani,
          > >which does not contain any surprises:
          > >
          > >http://eaglestone.pocketempires.com/lang/vilani/Vilani_phonics.doc
          >
          > It does contain a great surprise! Namely, there is no /t/, or indeed [t].
          > And this doesn't appear an accidental omission; it squares with what's
          > attested in the grammar. What's up with that?

          This is indeed weird. I checked the vocabulary found at

          http://eaglestone.pocketempires.com/lang/vilani/Vilani_Lexicon.html

          and indeed there is not a single /t/ in more than 6,600 words!
          That common phoneme seems indeed to be missing from the language
          - and we cannot chalk it on an alien mouth anatomy or anything
          like that because the Vilani of Traveller RPG are human.