Re: Spelling reforms, schmelling reforms (was: Quelle couleur!)

  • Gary Shannon
    Message 1 of 81 , Nov 2, 2011
      On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 2:17 AM, Daniel Prohaska
      <daniel@...> wrote:
      > Gary,
      > There would be solutions for developing a reformed variety of English spelling, which could then be transferred to Shavian script. In terms of the Latin alphabet, a solution may be possible where the word shape remains the same for all varieties but dialect differences are catered for by adding or dropping diacritic markers, as has been done in many reform proposals.
      > Dan

      AAAARRRRGGGGHHHH!!! Nooooooo! Not diacritics!

      Take a look at written Vietnamese. Diacritics are murder on aging
      eyes. I think diacritics come in third after root canals and stepping
      on rusty nails in my list things to avoid at all costs.

      One of the things that makes the Shaw script so attractive, to me at
      least, is its simplicity and clean lines. The last thing I would want
      would be to add a lot of nearly microscopic fussy decorations and
      ornate Rococo flourishes to the classic lines of the script.

      I'm of the school of thought that prefers my written words to be
      thought of as arbitrary symbols perhaps embodying some mnemonic
      information to hint at the sound of the word. Our present system of
      English orthography fills that role very nicely. Making rôle wear a
      hat on its "o" just confuses the issue.

      If we are going to reform English spelling we should start by simply
      tossing most of the vowels except for one generic vowel. Asøde frøm ø
      føw minømøl pøirs thøt wøuld nøød tø røtøin unøquø vøwls, wørd inøtøøl
      vøwls, ønd pørhøps søme finøl e's, møst wørds wøuld still incløde
      enøugh mnønømøc inførmøtøøn tø bø røødøble.

      No, we need for our system of orthography to be less specific to
      dialect, not more.

      --gary
    • Brian Weekes
      Message 81 of 81 , Nov 8, 2011