Quelle couleur! (was Qulele couleur! (was:: the Shwa script))

    Message 1 of 81 , Nov 1, 2011
      On 31/10/2011 21:44, Padraic Brown wrote:
      >> Neither the American nor the British spelling reflects
      >>
      > the sound of the first vowel correctly; a more accurate
      >> spelling would have been *cullur :)
      >
      > Or praps "culler".

      Did you mean perhaps this to go to this list?

      My apologies both for the dyslexic subject line (now
      corrected) and for not setting the reply-to correctly.

      Mea culpa! :(

      Yes - cullar, culler, cullor, cullur would all be pronounced
      the same if we stressed the first syllable. I just thought
      _cullur_ might more closely reflect the earlier [ku'lu:r].

      In one of the many English spelling reforms I've dabbled
      with in the past, it was spelled _kylr_ (with _y_ being used
      as in Welsh).

      Of course, Schwa will have at least four variant spellings
      of the word:
      - one for us non-rhotics;
      - another for Merkans, west country Brits, some Scots and
      others who pronounce the final vowel [ɚ];
      - a third for those in Wales and parts of Scotland who
      pronounce the final _r_ as a apical trill;
      - and a fourth for the few in North Wales and, I believe,
      parts of north est England who pronounce the final _r_ as [ʀ]
      - (or is it [ʁ] that's heard in north East England? That
      would be a fifth way).

      While different phonetic representations are clearly needed
      to indicate dialect variation, I am not persuaded that
      having four or five different spellings in everyday use for
      _colo(u)r_ is helpful. Indeed ....

      On 30/10/2011 19:35, Adam Walker wrote:
      [snip]

      > If only Shwa were intended for writing a conlang, I would
      > be an unreserved fan.

      Yes, I'm not sure about _unreserved_ fan, but I would
      certainly be interested.

      > Attempting to apply it to real world languages with
      > previous written traditions is a recipe for disaster.

      Yes, and unrealistic.

      In 403 BC the citizens of Athens formally adopted the Ionian
      alphabet which by the end of the 4th century BC had been
      adopted by most of the Greek speaking world and had remained
      the official upper-case Greek alphabet till the present day.
      I cannot imagine any circumstance in which the Greeks would
      give up using this alphabet which they have used for two and
      a half millennia. Nor do I see why they should.

      One could go on and give many other examples. Personally I
      think the world be a much duller place if its many different
      scripts fell into disuse.

      If Schwa was intended to be a featural phonetic script,
      rather like Alexander Melville Bell's "Visible Speech". as a
      replacement of IPA, I would be interested. But the idea of
      writing all the world's manifold different languages in a
      universal script as their normal, everyday script I
      personally find repugnant.

      Oh dear - I've moved away from "Why the _u_ in _colour_?" to
      English spelling reform and now back to Schwa, where this
      by-thread started off.

      C'est la vie!

      Nid rhy hen neb i ddysgu.
      There's none too old to learn.