Re: inverse relationships

  • Brian
    Message 1 of 17 , Oct 3, 2011
      Adam, you must live in the southern U.S.
      Message 2 of 17 , Oct 3, 2011
        I don't see a smiley face, so I could take umbrage at that statement. =-)
        Charlie

        Message 3 of 17 , Oct 3, 2011
          Sorry Charlie, I'm in TN, that was a joke.

          Message 4 of 17 , Oct 3, 2011
            On Mon, Oct 3, 2011 at 7:15 AM, Philip Newton <philip.newton@...> wrote:
            > On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 17:13, Adam Walker <carraxan@...> wrote:
            ---

            > For example, in the film _Atanarjuat: the Fast Runner_, one of the
            > female characters called her daughter by the name of her mother, and
            > she referred to her as "my little mother". (She also remarked that "I
            > knew you were my mother as soon as you were born", so perhaps they
            > also believe that something of the name-giver lives in the person.)

            In fact they believe in reincarnation, so the reference is quite
            literal. It is a common practice for an old person approaching death
            to name the female family member to whom they will be re-born, and to
            name some identifying feature that they will carry as a new born, such
            as a birth mark. (If you have access to a university library check
            American Ethnologist Volume 22, Issue 4, page 1058, November 1995 You
            can also Google "amerindian reincarnation" for some online articles.)

            A brief quote from: http://www.unipka.ca/Inuit_Ways.html

            --quote--
            One important thing to understand about Inuit culture is the belief in
            reincarnation. When a child is born, elders understand who is coming
            back into life — usually a member of the child’s family who has died
            not too long ago. They may call the child by that relative’s name and
            title, for example calling the baby grandma. Having the same name
            gives people a strong sense of spiritual affinity.
            --end quote--

            --gary