Re: Newbie Intro & Lovecraftian Language

  • John Erickson
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 4, 2011
      Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone.

      There have been some efforts,
      > here<http://www.yog-sothoth.com/archive/index.php/t-8683.html> for
      > example. And, though I haven't read it and can't even find a copy for sale
      > on the Internet, *R'lyehian as a Toy Language *by Phillip Marsh looks, from
      > its descriptions on various Lovecraft-fandom sites, interesting.

      Thanks for the link. I'll have to read through that before trying my own.
      Maybe I can build on what's already been done.

      What's your conlang like?

      It started as a way to flesh out a fantasy world I'm making up (for a novel
      I'll probably never finish). I didn't want the people and place names to
      sound like randomly made up gibberish, so I started making up a language to
      give them a consistent sound & structure. But since then, I've gotten so
      caught up in the joy of conlanging, I've been more focussed on that than the
      story.

      It's supposed to be a traditional, colloquial language, so I've tried to
      make it easy to pronounce, and simple in structure (it's also simple because
      I'm new at this). To give it a more believable, natlang feel, I've also been
      sketching out the basic vocabulary of two parent languages, one direct
      parent, and one other source of vocabulary, a religious/scholarly language,
      like Latin in Medieval Europe.

      Anyway, enough rambling. Here's a sample. "A myu kuaru ya Zuthie yud arp a
      dhambu ol i teondeyai." It's the opening line of a short folk tale, and
      translates roughly, "I girl named Jewel lived in a village of farmers."

      but of course, this lovecraftian "deep speech" is supposed to require
      > certain
      > speech organs possessed not by humans but only by the infernal and deranged
      > monstrosities of the under-/netherworld. so that's problematic...

      One of my ideas is to have them be able to pronounce multiple phonemes at
      once. I think that would give it a really alien feel, and make it good and
      unpronounceable.

      In a way, I think the fact that it's so alien would/will make the project
      easier in terms of making it consistent with the source material. The chants
      and incantations and such in the stories are supposed to be rough
      interpretations of a language half remembered and never fully understood in
      the first place, so a certain amount of inconsistency between the "original"
      deep speech and what is in the stories would be okay.
    • Jim Henry
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 5, 2011
        On Sun, Sep 4, 2011 at 3:30 PM, John Erickson
        <john.erickson.socal@...> wrote:
        > Hello all, I'm new to the list and fairly new to conlanging in general. I'm

        Welcome!

        > Has anyone ever tried to make a conlang based on Lovecraft's works? I know
        > of one English transliteration script, but no full fledged conlangs. I've

        There have been some discussions on the list about it before. Try
        searching the list archives for "Alhazred", "Cthulhu" and for various
        other Lovecraftian words and names.

        Also, in Lovecraft's letters there are some bits where he says how
        some of the names and words are supposed to be pronounced. I'm pretty
        sure the first volume of his collected letters from Arkham House has
        something about the pronunciation of "Cthulhu".

        --
        Jim Henry
        http://www.pobox.com/~jimhenry/