Re: "Hire us" in various conlangs with interesting orthographies

  • Jayelinda
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 1, 2011
      High res png is best, jpg failing that :) There have been a couple of
      versions of the flyer already done, but I think there are plans for other
      things.

      Plus we only have four conlang samples (out of nine on the current flyer)
      from languages that aren't mine. That doesn't feel right. It would be nice
      to have more to show.

      Cheers
      Jayelinda

      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 1, 2011
        --- On Wed, 8/31/11, Padraic Brown <elemtilas@...> wrote:

        > --- On Wed, 8/31/11, Christophe
        > Grandsire-Koevoets <tsela.cg@...>
        > wrote:
        >
        > > Coincidentally, I'm currently trying to
        > create-discover
        > > (you get my drift)
        > > the word for "work" in Moten. To do so, I've had a
        > look at
        > > how various
        > > languages translate "work", and what the etymology of
        > those
        > > words are.
        > > Besides the very boring words derived from words
        > meaning
        > > "action", "act",
        > > "make", we've got words originally meaning "torture"
        > > (French "travail", from
        > > Latin "tripalium"), "trouble", "agony", "ordeal"
        > (Hungarian
        > > "munka" and
        > > Romanian "muncă", both from Slavic), "hardship",
        > > "suffering" (German
        > > "Arbeit") and "slavery" (Modern Greek
        > "δουλειά":
        > > work, job is just one
        > > accent position away from "δουλεία": slavery,
        > and
        > > derived from it). The old
        > > European opinion on the value of work is quite clear,
        > > methinks :P .
        >

        > When one is sentenced to isfiare, that generally means
        > mining, quarrying
        > or running the treadmills under one of Pharaoh's golden
        > Wonderworks....

        I was thinking of something like that too.....Kash has sonjep 'a human-powered wheel device for drawing water, milling grain, etc.' and a derived compound kratonjep 'to perform boring or repetitious tasks', can also refer to the daily grind, the rat race etc. (< haran (ri) sonjep 'walk on the sonjep').  My inspiration was Spanish 'dar vueltas a la noria' which IIRC also refers to working a wheel for drawing water.
      • Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 3, 2011
          On 1 September 2011 02:41, Padraic Brown <elemtilas@...> wrote:

          > Very understandable. Until fairly recently in human history, very few
          > people had cushy office jobs. Most people's work was hard physical labor.
          > Even common chores were "travails" such that if we made our children do
          > them anymore, child protective services would whisk them away on charges of
          > child abuse.
          >
          > And if any among us recall or are otherwise familiar with manual
          > typewriters, rotary phones, manual adding machines or speaking tubes, it
          > becomes clear that even what were once "cushy office jobs" were also
          > pretty hard work!

          I remember manual typewriters (I used to break my fingers on one when I was
          a child :) ) and rotary phones. But I'm rather happy that I'm too young to
          remember manual adding machines and speaking tubes :) .

          > > Now what kind of unpleasant derivation am I going to give
          > > the Moten word for "work"? ;)
          >
          > Hm. Something like Loucarian "isfiare" < Sisyphus + -iare -- a
          > mindnumbingly gruelling and utterly endless labour. This is the word
          > they use both for the ancient practice of compelled state labour (building
          > the pyramids, etc) and also for the compelled labour enjoined upon the
          > Pharaoh's special guests by his prison magistrates.

          Actually, looking further into my various notes on Moten, I discovered that
          the work-related vocabulary wasn't as inexistent as I thought it was. I
          haven't found a general word for "work", but I found a few forms that *are*
          semantically related:
          - The noun _go_ basically means "job", i.e. any form of voluntary employment
          with compensation. So it doesn't refer to slavery nor to volunteer work.
          It's also used a lot as a suffix to make job description.
          - Moten is extremely poor in derivational morphology, but it does have a few
          derivational suffixes that happen to be related to work. The suffix _-vu|z_
          basically means "employee". It is used to form job titles. It is used only
          to refer to jobs with compensation, whether monetary or otherwise
          (basically, anything that is a _go_). The suffix _-non_ also refers to
          people having a specific occupation, but instead of being a generic paid
          job, _-non_ describes artists and craftsmen/craftswomen (craftspeople?).
          With _-non_, the focus isn't on the person having a paid job, but on the
          person doing something in an art or a craft. They *can* be paid for it, but
          it's not the focus of this form. Finally, there is the suffix _-sif_ which
          is used to form generic agent derived nouns. It's basically equivalent to
          "-er" in English.

          That said, the discussion did help me discover another Moten word related to
          work: _izgeboj_. It's a transitive verb with two different meanings: "to
          work on" and "to suffer from". Which meaning is meant is mostly inferred by
          context, but when the subject is expressed it usually makes clear what is
          meant: a volitional subject (in the nominative case) will usually trigger
          the "to work on" meaning of the verb, while an experiencing subject (in the
          instrumental) will trigger the "to suffer from" meaning.

          I'm actually surprised that I had so much vocabulary about work in Moten
          already! However, I still don't have a word for "hire". I'll have to look
          further into it.
          --
          Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets.

          http://www.christophoronomicon.nl/
        • Jim Henry
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 5, 2011
            On Sat, Sep 3, 2011 at 11:01 PM, Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets
            <tsela.cg@...> wrote:
            > I'm actually surprised that I had so much vocabulary about work in Moten
            > already! However, I still don't have a word for "hire". I'll have to look
            > further into it.

            Maybe a causative construction with a "work" verb?

            --
            Jim Henry
            http://www.pobox.com/~jimhenry/