Re: Shakespeare's way with language

  • Adam Walker
    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 1, 2011
      Well, a quick google using ticke and "pea green" turns up a number of usages
      "in the wild," but many of them do seem to be linked to Texas. and
      strangely, non of them seem to have the ironic tone I am accustomed to. For
      me the phrase means "(highly) displeased," but most of the uses I found in
      my brief search seem to be exactly synonymous with "tickled pink." Ah well.

      Adam

      On Fri, Jul 1, 2011 at 10:30 AM, <phil@...> wrote:

      > When I was growing up in Michigan in the 1960s, "I'm tickled pink"
      > was a very common expression. However, I've never heard any
      > form of this with "pea green."
      >
      > --Ph. D.
      > Adam Walker wrote:
      >
      >> I haven't the foggiest. I've heard it all my life. My maternal
      >> grandmother
      >> used it, as did my great aunts. My dad uses it. I have the feeling it is
      >> sort of country, but I grew up in Dallas and never had anyone (who was a
      >> native speaker) fail to understand it or remark that they hadn't heard it
      >> before. Refresh my memory, what part of the US are you from? Maybe it's
      >> regional.
      >> Adam
      >>
      >> Charlie wrote:

      >> > Never heard that one. I would imagine that "tickle pink" comes from the
      >> > fact that we may get flushed when tickled. >
      >> > But why pea green?
      >> >
      >> > Charlie

    • Samuel Stutter
      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 1, 2011
        Could it have something to do with associating green with sickness and
        pink with joy?

        "Tickled pink" = this has stimulated my "droll" response = I'm happy

        "Tickled green" = this has stimulated my "sick" response = I'm sick of
        it = I'm bored

        Maybe.

        Message 3 of 15 , Jul 1, 2011
          --- On Fri, 7/1/11, Roberto Suárez Soto <talkingxouba@...> wrote:

          > 2011/7/1 Daniel Bowman <danny.c.bowman@...>
          >
          > I like #1 just due to its cleverness.  I'm not sure
          > why I like #2 so much.
          > > Perhaps it is a personal cellar door, but something
          > about "behowl" tickles
          > > me
          > > pink, and I've been trying to work it into ordinary
          > conversation (with some
          > > difficulty).
          > >

          >     On the other hand, "tickles me pink" is
          > something I had never heard, and
          > that I find very funny. I'll add it to my repertoire :-)

          I've heard it, but long, long ago, from my mother and her friends in childhood.....(1940s)-- not recently.
          Message 4 of 15 , Jul 1, 2011
            --- On Fri, 7/1/11, Adam Walker <carraxan@...> wrote:

            > If you like that one, you should try
            > tickles me pea green, which means
            > the opposite. Adam

            Now that's a new one on me......
          • Padraic Brown
            Message 5 of 15 , Jul 1, 2011
              --- On Fri, 7/1/11, Adam Walker <carraxan@...> wrote:

              > I haven't the foggiest.  I've
              > heard it all my life.  My maternal grandmother
              > used it, as did my great aunts.  My dad uses it.
              > I have the feeling it is
              > sort of country, but I grew up in Dallas and never had
              > anyone (who was a
              > native speaker) fail to understand it or remark that they
              > hadn't heard it
              > before.  Refresh my memory, what part of the US are
              > you from?  Maybe it's regional.

              I wonder. I've never heard it at all here in the northeast and seaboard
              regions.

              I'll have to try it out on a Texan and see what reaction is forthcoming...

              Padraic

              > Adam
              >
              > On Fri, Jul 1, 2011 at 9:18 AM, Charlie <caeruleancentaur@...>
              > wrote:
              >
              > > --- In conlang@yahoogroups.com,
              > Adam Walker <carraxan@...> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > If you like that one, you should try tickles me
              > pea green, which means
              > > > the opposite. Adam
              > > >
              > > Never heard that one. I would imagine that "tickle
              > pink" comes from the
              > > fact that we may get flushed when tickled.
              > >
              > > But why pea green?
              > >
              > > Charlie

            • Larry Sulky
              Message 6 of 15 , Jul 1, 2011
                Never ever heard "tickle me pea green".

                --
                *Be regular and orderly in your life, so that you may be violent and
                original in your work.* -- Gustave Flaubert
                Message 7 of 15 , Jul 1, 2011
                  In fact I thought "tickle me pea green" was a joke when I read it. People
                  *actually* say that?

                  Fascinating.

                  On Fri, Jul 1, 2011 at 10:07 PM, Larry Sulky <larrysulky@...> wrote:

                  > Never ever heard "tickle me pea green".
                  >
                  > On Fri, Jul 1, 2011 at 1:31 PM, Padraic Brown <elemtilas@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > > --- On Fri, 7/1/11, Adam Walker <carraxan@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > > I haven't the foggiest. I've
                  > > > heard it all my life. My maternal grandmother
                  > > > used it, as did my great aunts. My dad uses it.
                  > > > I have the feeling it is
                  > > > sort of country, but I grew up in Dallas and never had
                  > > > anyone (who was a
                  > > > native speaker) fail to understand it or remark that they
                  > > > hadn't heard it
                  > > > before. Refresh my memory, what part of the US are
                  > > > you from? Maybe it's regional.
                  > >
                  > > I wonder. I've never heard it at all here in the northeast and seaboard
                  > > regions.
                  > >
                  > > I'll have to try it out on a Texan and see what reaction is
                  > forthcoming...
                  > >
                  > > Padraic
                  > >
                  > > > Adam

                  > > > pea green, which means

                  > > > pink" comes from the

                  > --
                  > *Be regular and orderly in your life, so that you may be violent and
                  > original in your work.* -- Gustave Flaubert

                • MorphemeAddict
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jul 3, 2011
                    Tickled pink - yes.
                    Tickled pea green - no.