Re: An irregular verb system

    Message 1 of 8 , May 1, 2011
      --- On Sun, 5/1/11, MorphemeAddict <lytlesw@...> wrote:

      > Nathan Unanymous <nathanmswan@...>wrote:
      >
      > > What's a good Basque source?
      > >

      > I don't know yet how good it is, but Rudolf P.G. de Rijk's
      > "Standard Basque:
      > a progressive grammar", vol. 1, looks promising.

      I have (somewhere) a 1950s printing of Azkue, Gramática Vasca, but from what I've read in Trask's _History of Basque_ (another source you might check)-- Azkue was trying to create some kind of standardized language from the various dialects, so it might not represent anything that is actually spoken anywhere.
    • Nikolay Ivankov
      Message 2 of 8 , May 1, 2011
        On Sun, May 1, 2011 at 5:10 AM, Nathan Unanymous <nathanmswan@...>wrote:

        > What's a good Basque source?

        I don't know if it can help, but there is a very nice introductory course.
        However, it is in Russian. I should also say that there are actually more
        synthetic verbs in Basque, but not much more, and they are very common ones:
        to be present, to go/leave, to come, to know, to have, maybe a bit more.
        (AFAIK The verb _ukan_ is used in Basque only for analytic verb conjugation.

        An introductory course in English is available here
        http://www.basquecourse.site50.net/ . Maybe it can help.
      • Daniel Prohaska
        Message 3 of 8 , May 2, 2011
          I can’t help you with Basque sources, but If I were to construct an irregular verb system I would go about it diachronically. Construct a regular verbal system of a given proto-language, then ‘age’ this language and make a ‘new’ regular system, e.g. periphrastic constructions that are then assimilated to form a new synthesis. This is then the new productive verbal system. For common and frequently used verb parts, use the old system, maybe with some analogical ‘mix-ups’ with the new system…

          Just an idea…

          Dan