Re: C-a update

  • Lee
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 2, 2011
      ... where you just can't seem...

      (Stupid autocorrect.)

      Lee

      On Wed Mar 2nd, 2011 7:56 PM CST Lee wrote:

      >See the X-Sampa site for x-sampa/IPA conversion routines, in case you want to change representations later.
      >
      >As you work with CSS you'll probably run into brick walls where you just can seem to make your layout work no matter what you try. That's when you should consider setting your CSS file aside and creating a new, probably simpler one from scratch that magically works.
      >
      >Lee
      >
      >On Wed Mar 2nd, 2011 6:24 PM CST Adam Walker wrote:
      >
      >>I have been working, in stolen moments here and there on returning the
      >>Carrajina-Inguesa/English-Carthaginian dictionary to the web. I have almost
      >>completed the update of C-E letter A, but then, while working today, I
      >>decided that I would really rather use real IPA that stay with the modified
      >>X-Smapa I have been using for the pronunciations. What is the best way to
      >>do that so it will display correctly?
      >>
      >>Also, I'm thinking that I really may have to surrender and learn enough CSS
      >>to update the code on my pages. Any advice is welcome.
      >>
      >>Adam

    • Carsten Becker
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 3, 2011
        Any recent browser (i.e. not IE 6!) should be able to automatically
        replace characters not found in the current font with those from a font
        that has the characters. I'd still recommend to use a font that covers
        the IPA range, e.g. Arial Unicode MS, Lucida Sans Unicode, Doulos SIL,
        Charis SIL, Gentium, Junicode, Titus Cyberbit, Thryomanes, Linux
        Libertine ... Even the Windows standard fonts that come with Vista and 7
        nowadays cover it, IIRC.

        So, as for your CSS, you could declare this to apply the font to all
        elements in the <body> of your HTML file (put it either in the <head> or
        in the <body>):

        body * {
        font-family: "Lucida Sans Unicode", "Arial Unicode MS", Gentium,
        "Doulos SIL";
        }

        Other than that, you might want to read Quirksmode,
        <http://quirksmode.org/css/contents.html> to get an overview of CSS.
        It's very simple, basically, to address DOM elements with CSS, but I,
        too, find myself constantly looking up names of keywords besides
        elementary ones like font-family, font-size, margin, and padding.

        Carsten

        --
        Ayeri Grammar (WIP): http://goo.gl/bCcbJ (PDF)
        Der Sprachbaukasten: http://sanstitre.nfshost.com/sbk