C-a update

  • Adam Walker
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 2 4:24 PM
      I have been working, in stolen moments here and there on returning the
      Carrajina-Inguesa/English-Carthaginian dictionary to the web. I have almost
      completed the update of C-E letter A, but then, while working today, I
      decided that I would really rather use real IPA that stay with the modified
      X-Smapa I have been using for the pronunciations. What is the best way to
      do that so it will display correctly?

      Also, I'm thinking that I really may have to surrender and learn enough CSS
      to update the code on my pages. Any advice is welcome.

      Adam
    • Lee
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 2 5:56 PM
        See the X-Sampa site for x-sampa/IPA conversion routines, in case you want to change representations later.

        As you work with CSS you'll probably run into brick walls where you just can seem to make your layout work no matter what you try. That's when you should consider setting your CSS file aside and creating a new, probably simpler one from scratch that magically works.

        Lee

        On Wed Mar 2nd, 2011 6:24 PM CST Adam Walker wrote:

        >I have been working, in stolen moments here and there on returning the
        >Carrajina-Inguesa/English-Carthaginian dictionary to the web. I have almost
        >completed the update of C-E letter A, but then, while working today, I
        >decided that I would really rather use real IPA that stay with the modified
        >X-Smapa I have been using for the pronunciations. What is the best way to
        >do that so it will display correctly?
        >
        >Also, I'm thinking that I really may have to surrender and learn enough CSS
        >to update the code on my pages. Any advice is welcome.
        >
        >Adam
      • Lee
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 2 6:21 PM
          ... where you just can't seem...

          (Stupid autocorrect.)

          Lee

          On Wed Mar 2nd, 2011 7:56 PM CST Lee wrote:

          >See the X-Sampa site for x-sampa/IPA conversion routines, in case you want to change representations later.
          >
          >As you work with CSS you'll probably run into brick walls where you just can seem to make your layout work no matter what you try. That's when you should consider setting your CSS file aside and creating a new, probably simpler one from scratch that magically works.
          >
          >Lee
          >
          >On Wed Mar 2nd, 2011 6:24 PM CST Adam Walker wrote:
          >
          >>I have been working, in stolen moments here and there on returning the
          >>Carrajina-Inguesa/English-Carthaginian dictionary to the web. I have almost
          >>completed the update of C-E letter A, but then, while working today, I
          >>decided that I would really rather use real IPA that stay with the modified
          >>X-Smapa I have been using for the pronunciations. What is the best way to
          >>do that so it will display correctly?
          >>
          >>Also, I'm thinking that I really may have to surrender and learn enough CSS
          >>to update the code on my pages. Any advice is welcome.
          >>
          >>Adam

        • Carsten Becker
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 3 12:08 AM
            Any recent browser (i.e. not IE 6!) should be able to automatically
            replace characters not found in the current font with those from a font
            that has the characters. I'd still recommend to use a font that covers
            the IPA range, e.g. Arial Unicode MS, Lucida Sans Unicode, Doulos SIL,
            Charis SIL, Gentium, Junicode, Titus Cyberbit, Thryomanes, Linux
            Libertine ... Even the Windows standard fonts that come with Vista and 7
            nowadays cover it, IIRC.

            So, as for your CSS, you could declare this to apply the font to all
            elements in the <body> of your HTML file (put it either in the <head> or
            in the <body>):

            body * {
            font-family: "Lucida Sans Unicode", "Arial Unicode MS", Gentium,
            "Doulos SIL";
            }

            Other than that, you might want to read Quirksmode,
            <http://quirksmode.org/css/contents.html> to get an overview of CSS.
            It's very simple, basically, to address DOM elements with CSS, but I,
            too, find myself constantly looking up names of keywords besides
            elementary ones like font-family, font-size, margin, and padding.

            Carsten

            --
            Ayeri Grammar (WIP): http://goo.gl/bCcbJ (PDF)
            Der Sprachbaukasten: http://sanstitre.nfshost.com/sbk