Site update

  • Carsten Becker
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 1, 2011
      Hey!

      While I didn't come up with new contents, I've reworked and improved (I
      hope!) my conlang's homepage. See the entry about the visible and
      invisible changes here: <http://benung.nfshost.com/archives/193>.

      It all started out with me being fed up with the awkward dictionary
      querying script I wrote 6 years ago but being too lazy to rewrite it for
      2 years, and then I recently wondered whether you could include the
      forms and such in a template for Wordpress. You can.

      Carsten

      --
      Ayeri Grammar (under construction): http://bit.ly/9dSyTI (PDF)
      Der Sprachbaukasten: http://sanstitre.nfshost.com/sbk
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 1, 2011
        I have wanted to ask you that for a while now. What program did you use
        to make those pitch contour graphs in the Ayeri grammar?

        Am 01.03.2011 09:06, schrieb Carsten Becker:
        > Hey!
        >
        > While I didn't come up with new contents, I've reworked and improved
        > (I hope!) my conlang's homepage. See the entry about the visible and
        > invisible changes here: <http://benung.nfshost.com/archives/193>.
        >
        > It all started out with me being fed up with the awkward dictionary
        > querying script I wrote 6 years ago but being too lazy to rewrite it
        > for 2 years, and then I recently wondered whether you could include
        > the forms and such in a template for Wordpress. You can.
        >
        > Carsten

      • Carsten Becker
        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 1, 2011
          Hi Miles,

          those were created in Wavesurfer. I don't know whether that's available
          for systems other than Linux as well, though. If I had been on Windows
          I'd have tried to use Praat, I guess.

          Carsten

          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 1, 2011
            Oh wow, thanks a ton!

            Praat looks great.

            Am 01.03.2011 11:49, schrieb Carsten Becker:
            > Hi Miles,
            >
            > those were created in Wavesurfer. I don't know whether that's
            > available for systems other than Linux as well, though. If I had been
            > on Windows I'd have tried to use Praat, I guess.
            >
            > Carsten
            >

            > Am 01.03.2011 11:20, schrieb Miles Forster:
            >> I have wanted to ask you that for a while now. What program did you
            >> use to make those pitch contour graphs in the Ayeri grammar

          • Patrick Dunn
            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 1, 2011
              Praat *is* great.

              On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 4:53 AM, Miles Forster <m3o@...> wrote:

              > Oh wow, thanks a ton!
              >
              > Praat looks great.
              >
              > Am 01.03.2011 11:49, schrieb Carsten Becker:
              >
              > Hi Miles,
              >>
              >> those were created in Wavesurfer. I don't know whether that's available
              >> for systems other than Linux as well, though. If I had been on Windows I'd
              >> have tried to use Praat, I guess.
              >>
              >> Carsten
              >>

              >> Am 01.03.2011 11:20, schrieb Miles Forster:
              >>
              >>> I have wanted to ask you that for a while now. What program did you use
              >>> to make those pitch contour graphs in the Ayeri grammar

              --
              I have stretched ropes from steeple to steeple; garlands from window to
              window; golden chains from star to star, and I dance. --Arthur Rimbaud
              Message 6 of 16 , Mar 1, 2011
                Hallo!

                On Tuesday 01 March 2011 09:06:15 Carsten Becker wrote:

                > Hey!
                >
                > While I didn't come up with new contents, I've reworked and improved (I
                > hope!) my conlang's homepage. See the entry about the visible and
                > invisible changes here: <http://benung.nfshost.com/archives/193>.
                >
                > It all started out with me being fed up with the awkward dictionary
                > querying script I wrote 6 years ago but being too lazy to rewrite it for
                > 2 years, and then I recently wondered whether you could include the
                > forms and such in a template for Wordpress. You can.
                >
                > Carsten

                Looks great. Much nicer than the old version. Rock on!

                --
                ... brought to you by the Weeping Elf
              • Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets
                Message 7 of 16 , Mar 1, 2011
                  On 1 March 2011 18:29, Patrick Dunn <pwdunn@...> wrote:

                  > Praat *is* great.

                  Yes, but it's also fiendish! That thing can do nearly everything, but it
                  nearly requires a Ph.D. to use even the simplest features! (that said,
                  phonetics *is* difficult after all)

                  Hey, doesn't that look a bit like Emacs? ;P
                  --
                  Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets.

                  http://www.christophoronomicon.nl/
                • Patrick Dunn
                  Message 8 of 16 , Mar 1, 2011
                    Well, I have a Ph.D., but I only use the simplest features. :)

                    Yeah, the learning curve isn't steep: it's vertical. Still, it's head and
                    shoulders above anything else, at least for writing linguistics papers.

                    Message 9 of 16 , Mar 1, 2011
                      On 1 March 2011 21:47, Patrick Dunn <pwdunn@...> wrote:

                      > Well, I have a Ph.D., but I only use the simplest features. :)

                      Q.E.D. ;) .

                      > Yeah, the learning curve isn't steep: it's vertical.

                      Yes, and the interface doesn't help: terse doesn't even start to describe it
                      (documentation, however, is plentiful, although very technical).

                      > Still, it's head and
                      > shoulders above anything else, at least for writing linguistics papers.

                      I completely agree. I just wish the speech synthesizer was easier to use.
                      It's the only one I've ever seen that is language agnostic, but it requires
                      a very advanced knowledge of phonetics for even the simplest syllable.
                      --
                      Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets.

                      http://www.christophoronomicon.nl/
                    • Peter Bleackley
                      Message 10 of 16 , Mar 2, 2011
                        staving Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets:
                        (re Praat)
                        > On 1 March 2011 21:47, Patrick Dunn<pwdunn@...> wrote:
                        >
                        >> Well, I have a Ph.D., but I only use the simplest features. :)
                        >>

                        > Q.E.D. ;) .
                        >

                        >> Yeah, the learning curve isn't steep: it's vertical.
                        >

                        > Yes, and the interface doesn't help: terse doesn't even start to describe it
                        > (documentation, however, is plentiful, although very technical).
                        >

                        >> Still, it's head and
                        >> shoulders above anything else, at least for writing linguistics papers.
                        >>

                        > I completely agree. I just wish the speech synthesizer was easier to use.
                        > It's the only one I've ever seen that is language agnostic, but it requires
                        > a very advanced knowledge of phonetics for even the simplest syllable.

                        Does anyone have any experience of using CMU Sphinx? The research I've
                        done suggests that it might be the best thing to use for
                        http://code.google.com/p/spoken-language-recognition/
                        but I'd like some hints on how to get started.

                        Pete
                      • Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets
                        Message 11 of 16 , Mar 2, 2011
                          On 2 March 2011 10:40, Peter Bleackley <peter.bleackley@...> wrote:

                          > I completely agree. I just wish the speech synthesizer was easier to use.
                          > Does anyone have any experience of using CMU Sphinx? The research I've done
                          > suggests that it might be the best thing to use for
                          > http://code.google.com/p/spoken-language-recognition/
                          > but I'd like some hints on how to get started.

                          Eh, you're talking about speech *recognition*, I'm talking about speech
                          *synthesizing*. Those are opposite problems, and I don't see how knowing
                          about one will help with the other...
                          --
                          Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets.

                          http://www.christophoronomicon.nl/
                        • Richard Littauer
                          Message 12 of 16 , Mar 2, 2011
                            For a few, brief seconds, I misread and thought that Praat was updated and
                            there was a new, cleaner version.

                            Alas.

                            Still! Good site. I like the grammar document, in particular, as well.

                            On Wed, Mar 2, 2011 at 9:52 AM, Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets <tsela.cg@
                            gmail.com> wrote:

                            > On 2 March 2011 10:40, Peter Bleackley <peter.bleackley@...>
                            > wrote:
                            >

                            > > I completely agree. I just wish the speech synthesizer was easier to use.
                            > > Does anyone have any experience of using CMU Sphinx? The research I've
                            > done
                            > > suggests that it might be the best thing to use for
                            > > http://code.google.com/p/spoken-language-recognition/
                            > > but I'd like some hints on how to get started.
                            > >

                            > Eh, you're talking about speech *recognition*, I'm talking about speech
                            > *synthesizing*. Those are opposite problems, and I don't see how knowing
                            > about one will help with the other...
                            > --
                            > Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets.
                            >
                            > http://christophoronomicon.blogspot.com/
                            > http://www.christophoronomicon.nl/

                          • David Johnson
                            Message 13 of 16 , Mar 2, 2011
                              Your Ayeri is one of the conlang sites I keep revisiting and I agree with
                              other posters that the new look is very nice. I like the clear minimalism
                              and the dictionary search worked well for me. As I recall, you used to have
                              two versions of the grammar a technical version, as now and a uh- more
                              accessible version for different audiences. Will the latter be returning?

                              I particularly like the Gentium font on the pdf - neither too simple nor too
                              "serify".

                              David
                            • Carsten Becker
                              Message 14 of 16 , Mar 2, 2011
                                Hey David,

                                thanks for the praise :) You mean the "Course Book". I wrote those
                                lessons quite early on, though, I think in 2005, so the language has
                                changed considerably since then, but I didn't update the Course. I just
                                took it off the web sometime. At the moment I'm trying to finally write
                                that grammar and this time complete it, but it'll still take a while
                                until iut is finished. As you can see, there's still many blank
                                chapters. And before I haven't written the grammar I won't make new
                                exercises I guess. I can see how the grammar as it is right now is a bit
                                unwieldy, because I feel the same whenever I want to look something up
                                very quickly.

                                Carsten

                                Am 02.03.2011 21:55, schrieb David Johnson:
                                > As I recall, you used to have
                                > two versions of the grammar a technical version, as now and a uh- more
                                > accessible version for different audiences. Will the latter be returning?

                                --
                                Ayeri Grammar (WIP): http://goo.gl/bCcbJ (PDF)
                                Der Sprachbaukasten: http://sanstitre.nfshost.com/sbk
                                Message 15 of 16 , Mar 3, 2011
                                  On 2011-03-01 09:06, Carsten Becker wrote:
                                  > While I didn't come up with new contents, I've reworked and improved (I
                                  > hope!) my conlang's homepage. See the entry about the visible and
                                  > invisible changes here: <http://benung.nfshost.com/archives/193>.

                                  *Reads about technologies used* Heh! Yes, Django is a joy to use to get
                                  a database on the web.

                                  Is there a way to browse the dictionary: see through it without searching?

                                  HM
                                • Carsten Becker
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Mar 3, 2011
                                    Hm, I haven't built one in explicitly because I was afraid dumping the
                                    whole database would cause too much traffic. For the moment, seaching
                                    for .* as a RegEx in one of the two language fields should do the job,
                                    though.

                                    C.