Re: I Ching + finnegans wake + McLuhan

  • Samuel Stutter
    Message 1 of 38 , Nov 3, 2010
      Maybe it's some kind of leet comedy which requires comprehension of
      Mandarin, (what I'm guessing is) Hindi, Media Theory and Irish
      ballads...

      Hey! I get it! It's hilarious everyone

      On 3 Nov 2010, at 15:16, Jörg Rhiemeier wrote:

      > Hallo!
      >
      > On Tue, 2 Nov 2010 22:14:51 -0200, the ursprachist ursprach wrote:
      >
      >> " 六位時成,時乘六龍以御天 " : ऋतुसंहार;
      >> ऋतु + 爻辭 ? ऋतुः ( 爻一 वसन्तः
      >> [image: Aries.svg]
      >> [...]
      >
      > WHAT?
      >
      > --
      > ... brought to you by the Weeping Elf
    • Lars Finsen
      Message 38 of 38 , Nov 6, 2010
        Den 6. nov. 2010 kl. 22.15 skreiv Matthew Turnbull:

        > An aside that this whole thing made me think of
        >
        > http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/abstract/science.1190719

        Yes, awesome and (not) a little frightening.

        > Anyway, I remember something about them including an encoded
        > english message in the genome as proof that they had made it and
        > not just grown some mycoplasms and said "hey guys, check it out, we
        > totally did a total genome transformation on these guys here!"

        That must be the "watermark" they are talking about.

        > Also junk DNA is pretty important, not at all as information
        > storage though, except in that I understand it contains many of the
        > splicing sequences in higher eucaryotes. I understand it's mostly
        > structural in nature, kinda like the paper and binding in a book is
        > alot heftier than the ink that makes the words, but important too,
        > despite not containing any real information. Also I'd like to point
        > out that although it's impossible to say why such things are the
        > way they are, the redundancy provided by wobble pairings with the
        > final nucleotide in codons in the ribosome greatly contributes to
        > correct synthesis of protiens,

        Sure, redundancy is a pillar of the biological quality control systems.

        > so it's kinda like they're using a two base codon instead of a
        > three base codon for alot of the amino acids, you can notice the
        > pattern right away if you look at the chart, for alot of the amino
        > acids the third nucleotide is redundant, because the amino acid is
        > specified by the first two alone, and honestly glutamic acid vs.
        > aspartic acid is pretty much nothing, so most of the time a mis-
        > incorporation there won't be the
        > worst thing that could of happened.

        I agree, there are some amino acids that we could have done without,
        like isoleucine, for instance, but having them around safeguards
        against mistakes.

        > OT @Lars : RNA world = best origin of life hypothesis, or no?

        At least I'm pretty sure RNA preceded DNA. But I think even RNA is a
        result of evolution. RNA synthesis and replication can be done much
        simpler than the DNA stuff, but in a conceivable protobiological
        environment it still will be too complicated to form spontaneously, I
        think. Life is a self-sustaining process, and it probably originated
        when some non-organic self-sustaining process became able to improve
        its sustainability, for example by producing raw materials for the
        process. Recipes to preserve the production method and the identity
        of the proto-organism would have to be the next stage. But it
        probably was based on something simpler than nucleotides, for which I
        think the first role was energy transfer. The primary molecules for
        life in my opinion are: ATP, iron sulfide, and lipid bilayers with
        catalytic properties, or having embedded some molecule with catalytic
        properties. Proteins, in my opinion, are secondary, despite their name.

        > Obconlang : I was wondering about making a language that would be
        > coded into DNA, but never have gotten around to it yet, I think it
        > could be neat though, instead of initiation sites, you could have
        > verb-phrase recognition consensus sequences, lol!

        Yeah, you have to include some of that conlang stuff, too. Hopefully
        now they won't throw us out.

        But it is a neat idea. A microscopic language or code that can be
        read and written with the aid of enzymes might have some use. DNA
        isn't the only way to do it either.

        LEF