Re: What kind of minimal pairs are most problematic?

  • Jim Henry
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 3, 2010
      On Tue, Nov 2, 2010 at 10:29 AM, Matthew Martin
      <matthewdeanmartin@...> wrote:
      > What sorts of minimal pairs cause the most trouble?

      I would suggest paying more attention to whether your minimal pairs
      are in the same distributional category, i.e., likely to occur in the
      same context. If not, you're probably fine.

      On Tue, Nov 2, 2010 at 3:13 PM, Matthew Martin
      <matthewdeanmartin@...> wrote:
      > Can anyone suggest what sort of pattern would generate relatively few minimal
      > pairs for consonant and vowel pattern sensitivity? I'm guessing it

      See here:

      http://www.pobox.com/~jimhenry/conlang/redundancy.htm

      *Any* possible phonology you devise will have a lot of minimal pairs
      if you coin every word that the phonology allows, and any phonology
      will allow you to avoid minimal pairs if you're willing to get by with
      fewer short words than you could have if you agressively used all the
      possible combinations.

      --
      Jim Henry
      http://www.pobox.com/~jimhenry/