Re: Just For Fun: A 30-Day Conlang

  • Gary Shannon
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 1, 2010
      Since all of my previous conlangs (with the exception of a reverse
      Polish experiment) have been SVO, my first executive decision in
      creating my new, unamed 30-day conlang is that it will have VOS word
      order so that I won't be tempted to borrow from any of my older
      grammars.

      In fact, after playing with English glosses I settled on this basic
      sentence structure:

      VPOTS

      V = verb, only exists in the present tense
      P = zero or more prepositional phrases
      O = optional direct object (if verb is transitive)
      T = tense modifying aux/particle
      S = subject

      So there would English glosses like:

      Give to Mary the book did John.
      Climb the tree will my cat.
      Run has-been-doing the dog.

      I will update my website later today with a translation of the first
      few sentences (75 words worth) and the complete lexicon once I get
      that far.

      --gary
      http://fiziwig.com/conlang/thirty_day.html
    • Gary Shannon
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 1, 2010
        FWIW: The first day's translation is done:

        Miro kinta ka'anui susa ne ban khanu, kho byano matawika luyatu ne
        ka'anui opa hali. Dota edo mapona sofalia yamu a majamosa lela mapona
        amalu ia raharu ne hali. Vago rabasui muza ka'anui dona hali, kho edo
        jamosa xumbia hake dona maya. Bosio kiza futanui dona hali a bosio
        hayatui opa dozan pelu, luken pelu, a uradu ai sopekui dona maya. Edo
        tepira dekaru dona piata wakiri a xunga dumuru ai piata kuzia sumpi.

        These people also were cave-dwellers, but their caves showed the
        result of a higher intelligence that brought them a step nearer to
        civilized man than the tribe next "toward the beginning." The
        interiors of their caverns were cleared of rubbish, though still far
        from clean, and they had pallets of dried grasses covered with the
        skins of leopard, lynx, and bear, while before the entrances were
        barriers of stone and small, rudely circular stone ovens.

        There are interlinears and a complete English-to-X and X-to-English
        lexicon on my web page: http://fiziwig.com/conlang/thirty_day.html

        --gary
      • Ph.D.
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 1, 2010
          Gary,

          I like the start of your new conlang, but I never thought
          you'd ever use terminology like "that 'kh' is a voiceless
          velar or possibly uvular fricative." :-)

          --Ph. D.

          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 1, 2010
            On Mon, Nov 1, 2010 at 6:20 PM, Ph.D. <phil@...> wrote:
            > Gary,
            > I like the start of your new conlang, but I never thought
            > you'd ever use terminology like "that 'kh' is a voiceless velar or possibly
            > uvular fricative."  :-)
            >
            > --Ph. D.

            LOL! Just to prove that sometimes an old dog CAN learn new tricks. :)
            Besides, I needed a way to describe the sound I was making while
            saying the word, so I figured I might as well learn the correct
            terminology.

            --gary
          • Peter Bleackley
            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 2, 2010
              staving Gary Shannon:
              > Since all of my previous conlangs (with the exception of a reverse
              > Polish experiment) have been SVO, my first executive decision in
              > creating my new, unamed 30-day conlang is that it will have VOS word
              > order so that I won't be tempted to borrow from any of my older
              > grammars.
              >
              > In fact, after playing with English glosses I settled on this basic
              > sentence structure:
              >
              > VPOTS
              >
              > V = verb, only exists in the present tense
              > P = zero or more prepositional phrases
              > O = optional direct object (if verb is transitive)
              > T = tense modifying aux/particle
              > S = subject
              >
              > So there would English glosses like:
              >
              > Give to Mary the book did John.