Re: OT (and TECH): another question (was: Annoyances)

  • Lee
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 31, 2010
      She may want to consider looking into a TTY/TDD. Sure they were invented by Deaf for Deaf, but don't let that stop her/you. They are used by people with speech problems as well. It's all about being able to communicate.

      I'm not sure where you are located, but a trip to a local Deaf/Hard of Hearing equipment shop may be a huge help. If you have none close by, Harris Communications will be helpful http://www.harriscomm.com/. (I only give the recommendation because they are the #1 supporter of the local community web site, and others have recommended them.)

      There is TTY/TDD software. Harris doesn't have much for TTY/TDD that, so you'll have to look elsewhere for that. However, she will probably find life much easier having a dedicated device without having to worry about dealing with an app on a computer. While the idea sounds attractive, we all know what a PITA that can turn out to be... Besides, finding a compatible modem may turn out to be way more trouble than it's worth.

      Finally, 711 should work everywhere in the US and Canada for sending/receiving TTY/TDD calls. All phone companies are required to support 711 and route the calls through a qualified relay center. (All routed calls are treated confidentially.)

      Lee

      --- On Sun, 10/31/10, Roger Mills <romiltz@...> wrote:

      Another thought: is there any device that can translate print into voice, for use over the telephone? I'm sure they exist, but probably expensive. It has occurred to us that if she went to a speech therapist, he/she might know; also, if it were a medical necesssity, her Medicare and insurance would cover the cost.

      Any thoughts? All help appreciated.

      Roger