Re: Worldwide conlanger locations map, v2

    Message 1 of 59 , Oct 2, 2010
      --- On Sat, 10/2/10, R A Brown <ray@...> wrote:

      > I can understand why people may apparently be located in
      > strange places. I tried to add myself this morning. I zoomed
      > in and in and in - and got exited when the map showed my
      > road and then it changed to street view. It bore not the
      > slightest resemblance to the street I live in, even tho it
      > said it was that street! What's up with Google maps?

      Being unused to Google Maps like this one plus semi-computer-illiterate, it didn't occur to me that one could zoom in and in and in....(although I''ve done it for specific towns/areas). Anyhow, the Google map of my town has, at the least, my street wrong (as does the official map the city hands out, go figure)---it shows Spear St. as continuous, when in fact there's a "lower" Spear that runs E/W for 2 or 3 blocks from the river, then stops at a rather large and steep hill. "Upper" Spear, where I live, is on top of that hill (the tony area of town, I might add), runs for two long blocks with dead-ends at both ends. It's one of those places that "you can't get there from here".
    • Philip Newton
      Message 59 of 59 , Oct 11, 2010
        On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 7:26 AM, Garth Wallace <gwalla@...> wrote:
        > I think Sai also posted it to the Conlang livejournal community.

        That's certainly where I saw it first.

        Cheers,
        Philip
        --