Two Albic-related ATLs (was: Joseph Peanou RIP)

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 30, 2010
      Hallo Ray!

      I wish to make further comments on something I wrote on Tuesday:

      > (I still sometimes pay brief visits to two Albic-related ATLs,
      > one diverging in King Arthur's time, with an Elvish enclave
      > surviving in Somerset in a different UK, and one having the
      > ancient Elvish civilization never fall, but each time I try to
      > work on either of them, I quickly realize how unrewarding the
      > enterprise is. I should perhaps finally lay those two timelines
      > to rest.)

      The timeline which diverges in King Arthur's time is the "UKW World",
      named after the United Kingdom of the Westlands. The idea behind it
      is that after the fall of the Commonwealth of the Elves, a community
      of Elves survived in Somerset until it was assaulted by King Arthur
      in the early 6th century (some versions of Arturian legend relay such
      an event), which led to tensions within Arthur's realm and to the
      battle of Camlann.

      In the UKW World, King Arthur rejected the instigation of the Church
      to campaign against the Elves. This meant that the Elven community
      survived - to the present day. It also meant that Arthur became the
      founder of a dynasty under which all Britons were united. Britain
      gradually lost territory to the English, but as for 2010, Wales is
      still about twice as big as it is today, with the Hafren (Severn in
      English) running its entire course in Wales. Through a series of
      inheritances, the descendants of Arthur have managed to become the
      kings not only of Wales, but also of England, Scotland and Ireland.
      The four kingdoms were at one point united in the United Kingdom of
      the Westlands.

      The UKW World is one where overall history is similar to that of our
      timeline, but with many differences in detail. Generally, there is
      more regionalism and federalism, and some countries followed
      alternative pathways to democracy, such as the Hanseatic League.

      Rosicrucianism, an alternative strain of Christianity borne from
      Joseph of Arimathea carrying the Gospel to the Elves, plays more or
      less the role of Protestantism, being a widespread religion in the
      Westlands and the predominant religion in the Hanseatic League and
      in Scandinavia; also the Albigensians may have been Rosicrucians
      rather than Cathars. There is a connection between Rosicrucianism,
      Elvendom and the larger number of early democracies: the Elvish
      Rosicrucian tradition emphasizes free will and the Purpose, and
      calls for a liberal society.

      This world, however, is still very sketchy, and I currently keep
      it alive mainly for an "urban geofiction" project which I started
      a few years ago, then put aside, until my interest in it was
      rekindled by this site:

      http://urbangeofiction.stadtkreation.de/

      The project involves the UKW World's version of Glastonbury, the
      capital of Elfham. In the UKW World, Glastonbury is a bustling
      city of about 200,000 inhabitants, the majority being Elves, but
      English, Welsh and other nationalities are also present there.
      Glastonbury is the see of the Archbishop of Glastonbury, who is
      sometimes called the "Rosicrucian Pope", though he does not have
      the same kind of power over the Rosicrucians of the world as does
      the Roman Pope over the Catholics.

      The linguistic landscape of the UKW World differs from OTL mainly
      in being a bit more diverse. Low German, the language of the
      Hanseatic League, is a full-fledged national language. I am also
      considering a fragmented France like that of BPJ's Lucus and Adam's
      Carrajina timeline, with Burgundy becoming a separate nation-state
      and Bourgignon becoming a language with its own literary standard,
      and a Rosicrucian republic in the Languedoc, with Occitan as its
      national language. The Elves of the UKW of course speak an Albic
      language (essentially the same as one of the modern Albic languages
      of the LLL, but that languages is not developed yet). Ah yes, and
      Manx and Cornish never died.

      Now to the other Albic-related ATL. In "OTL" as well as the UKW
      World, the Commonwealth of the Elves fell ultimately due to
      internal strife. There was an ultraconservative but technologist
      movement (the Commonwealth was technologically on the level of
      Classical Greece, with the development of machinery running on
      wind and water power), the "Society for the Strengthening of
      Elvendom", founded by a brilliant but unruly inventor-politician
      (and allegedly magician) named Lóchanâro. Lóchanâro's first
      attempt to get into power was by elections, but he lost. Then
      he launched a rebellion which was subdued, and he went into exile
      to Tartessos in Spain, where he became the court wizard of the
      senile and insane king Argantonios II. Lóchanâro used his
      position to coax the king into an alliance with Carthage and a
      war against the Commonwealth of the Elves, where his followers
      staged a second rebellion; after seven years of war, the
      Commonwealth collapsed, and Celtic warlords took over control
      over the British Isles.

      In the ATL, which doesn't have a handy name yet, Argantonios II
      dies of a stroke before the war starts, and his son, Argantonios
      III, dismisses Lóchanâro from his position as court wizard and
      extradites him to the Commonwealth, where Lóchanâro is tried for
      treason and imprisoned, and the Society for the Strengthening
      of Elvendom falters and splits into several factions which waste
      their resources on combating each other. The war does not
      happen, and the Commonwealth overcomes the social problems which
      had led to the rise of the Society (the main issue was the legal
      status of immigrant workers from the Continent).

      I have history in the Mediterranean proceed the way we know it
      with little changes, but in northwestern Europe, the Commonwealth
      of the Elves continues to prosper and starts influencing the
      cultures of neighbouring peoples, where similar states (democratic
      federations) develop, and Eaism (the Elvish religion) begins to
      displace pagan beliefs. Of course, eventually the Roman Empire
      clashes with the Eaist cultural sphere, which is technologically
      more advanced than Rome (the Elvish culture, through the combined
      effect of an emphasis on artisanship and science, and the absence
      of slavery, fosters the development of labour-saving devices),
      and utterly superior at sea. I think an equilibrium is eventually
      reached with a Limes Borealis running from somewhere near the
      mouth of the Loire through central Germany to the Danube near
      Regensburg.

      Eaism filters into the Roman Empire from the north, but is
      suppressed by the Roman authorities; the events concerning Jesus
      of Nazareth happen on schedule, and Joseph of Arimathea carries
      the gospel to the Elves. So we get Rosicrucianism in that timeline
      as well, and even bigger than in the UKW World. The Völkerwanderung
      is pretty much monkeywrenched by the presence of a rival centre of
      civilization in the northwest, but the Western Roman Empire
      collapses on schedule. With the Elves launching an industrial
      revolution based on renewable energy sources, the world speeds into
      modernity several centuries earlier.

      But things soon get pretty unpredictable. This means that I am
      pretty stuck with this project. What does this mean linguistically?
      The Old Albic language should develop in a different direction than
      the splinters of Albic in the LLL. The languages of the peoples of
      the Eaist cultural sphere in northwestern Europe would be heavily
      borrowing cultural vocabulary from Albic.

      For now, I prefer leaving both timelines alone, save for the city
      of Glastonbury in the UKW World, which I intend to develop as a
      model for realistic sustainable urban development. At any rate,
      there is still enough to do on Old Albic language and culture.

      --
      ... brought to you by the Weeping Elf