Luggnaggian

  • Peter Bleackley
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 7, 2010
      Here are two sentences of the Luggnaggian language, from "Gulliver's
      Travels" by Jonathan Swift. They are translated for us, but can we
      devise glosses for them?

      Ickpling Gloffthrob Squutserumm blhiop Mlashnalt Zwin tlodbalkguffh
      Slhiophad Gurdlubh Asht.

      "May your celestial Majesty out-live the Sun, eleven Moons and an half."

      Fluft drin Yalerick Dwuldum prastrad mirplush.

      "My Tongue is in the Mouth of my Friend." (ie, "I need an interpreter.")

      Pete
    • Daniel Nielsen
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 7, 2010
        Knowing nothing else about the language, here's my linguistically
        untechnical notion (influenced by English) for the second sentence,
        reordered to mimic English:

        mir-: my
        -plush: tongue
        Yalerick: cargo
        prastrad: lying in
        Dwuldum: mouth
        drin: of-an-anchor-tossed-from-the-main-body (in this case oneself)
        Fluft: friend

        Looking online, I've found about half the texts seem to use the
        capitalization given here, and about half only capitalize the first letter.
        Assuming this capitalization, I notion that nouns are capitalized unless
        attached to a possessive ("mirplush"; in which case it is no longer
        considered an entity standing on its own and worthy of capitalization).
      • Matthew Turnbull
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 8, 2010
          Fluft drin Yalerick Dwuldum pra -stra -d mirplush.

          Language my mouth friend be.at-REALIS-stem trans.imperfect

          SOV word order, with Posessee Posessor order

          fluft – language

          drin – 1sg

          yalerick – mouth

          dwuldum – friend

          prad – be.at

          -stra- realis

          mirplush – transitivizer with imperfect aspect