Re: The 2010 Smiley Award Winner: amman iar

  • David Peterson
    Message 1 of 46 , Sep 2, 2010
      On Sep 2, 2010, at 5◊08 AM, Jim Henry wrote:

      > Perhaps; and it's something we should all think about individually,
      > how to help preserve the websites of conlangs we think highly of,
      > should their creators predecease us, and how to make it easier for our
      > fellow conlangers to preserve any of our work they think worth
      > preserving when we're gone.

      I've got a couple of related things I'd like to add to this. A website
      is something that, even if we don't have direct access to the backend,
      we (and the general public) do have some kind of access to, even
      if it's just via something like archive.org. What we don't have access
      to are (1) private computer files, and (2) private paper files (or non-
      computer files; I'm missing a word here. Neither "analog" nor "hard"
      seem right). In David Bell's case, there was a wealth of information
      that never saw the internet, and now, likely, never will. I know that
      with many conlangers, what actually ends up on a website is just the
      tip of the iceberg. I think we should all think about what we'd like to
      have done with our non-web conlang material in the event of our
      deaths, so that, if we so desire, it can be released, and won't be lost,
      as I'm sure so many conlangs were before the advent of the internet.

      Additionally, going through David Bell's website, I was struck by how
      many pages were incomplete. It occurred to me that if I died tomorrow,
      the exact same thing would be true of my website. Even if one has
      all of a conlanger's files, there's no substitute for instructions written
      by the creator. I think we should all (definitely myself included) rededicate
      ourselves to finishing what we started. Myself, I always slack off because
      a page looks too daunting, or like it would take too much work, or
      because I'd rather be doing something else at the moment, but no
      more! We've got to get this stuff done while we can.

      I'd also like to point out some really exemplary sites not just for their
      style, but how complete they are:

      John Quijada's site: http://www.ithkuil.net/
      Arthaey Angosii's site: http://www.arthaey.com/conlang/
      Sylvia Sotomayor's site: http://www.terjemar.net/kelen.php

      And, of course, there are probably others we can think of. Those are
      just three that jump to mind.

      On Sep 2, 2010, at 12◊27 PM, Daniel Nielsen wrote:

      > Link, please :)

      To what? The article? It's here:

      http://dedalvs.com/smileys/2010.html

      If you're talking about Adam's site, I don't know that one (but I'm
      interested too!).

      -David

      -Jim Morrison

      http://dedalvs.com/