Re: "Doing Fieldwork on Constructed Languages"

  • Arthaey Angosii
    Message 1 of 15 , May 1, 2010
      On Sat, May 1, 2010 at 3:09 AM, Sai Emrys <sai@...> wrote:
      > Since the author is too [insert adjective here] to brag:
      >
      > http://specgram.com/CLIX.1/06.lehder.conlang.html

      ROFL. Who's the author? Does he accept donations? :)

      My two favorite parts: the many forms of the awesome term
      "constlango"; and this quote: "Your Informant Is Always Right: ... If
      presented with a term that strikes you as odd, simply smile and say,
      'Indeed, that is what a trigger system is'"

      --
      AA, proud constlangoleur
    • David Peterson
      Message 2 of 15 , May 1, 2010
        On May 1, 2010, at 1◊17 PM, Mechthild Czapp wrote:

        >> Throw Away Your DAT Recorder: Only one in every 152 thousand created
        >> languages is ever spoken aloud—and of those, only 2.3% are spoken by
        >> more than one person (i.e. the constlangoleur him- or herself) at any
        >> point during the language’s existence. As a result, you’ll likely not
        >> find any use for an audio recording device.
        >
        > Sooo true! I would so have issues saying something in KHMG or JSG... OTOH, I can speak rejistanian and am understood in it at least a bit by my SO*, so I guess that is an exception (you can say what you want about its naïve phonology, it DOES have the advantage of being easy to speak at least for me).

        My wife knows several words in my various languages, but only
        because we use them as names for World of Warcraft characters
        and cats.

        -David
        "Sunlü eleškarez ügrallerüf üjjixelye ye oxömeyze."

        -Jim Morrison

        http://dedalvs.com/

        LCS Member Since 2007
        http://conlang.org/
      • Mechthild Czapp
        Message 3 of 15 , May 1, 2010
          > An: CONLANG@...
          > Betreff: Re: "Doing Fieldwork on Constructed Languages"

          > On May 1, 2010, at 1◊17 PM, Mechthild Czapp wrote:
          > >
          > >> Throw Away Your DAT Recorder: Only one in every 152 thousand created
          > >> languages is ever spoken aloud—and of those, only 2.3% are spoken by
          > >> more than one person (i.e. the constlangoleur him- or herself) at any
          > >> point during the language’s existence. As a result, you’ll likely
          > not
          > >> find any use for an audio recording device.
          > >
          > > Sooo true! I would so have issues saying something in KHMG or JSG...
          > OTOH, I can speak rejistanian and am understood in it at least a bit by my
          > SO*, so I guess that is an exception (you can say what you want about its
          > naïve phonology, it DOES have the advantage of being easy to speak at least
          > for me).
          >

          > My wife knows several words in my various languages, but only
          > because we use them as names for World of Warcraft characters
          > and cats.
          >
          > -David

          RPs are a big factor here as well (frex: ymeti). Also computers. The fact that my ancient almost-old-enough-to-drink computer is called sydi (fast) and other boxen have similar ironic names surely helped.

          Any ideas how to make a SO want to learn enough Rejistanian (or JSG or KHMG) so that we can pretend to completely confuse my parents (who still do not understand the fascination of conlanging). I like practical jokes and while this would be an elaborate one, IMNSCO it would be worth it.

          --
          Sanja'xen mi'lanja'kynha ,mi'la'ohix jilih, nka.

          My life would be easy if it was not so hard!

        • Andreas Johansson
          Message 4 of 15 , May 1, 2010
            On Sat, May 1, 2010 at 11:21 PM, Mechthild Czapp <0zu149@...> wrote:
            >> An: CONLANG@...
            >> Betreff: Re: "Doing Fieldwork on Constructed Languages"

            >> not
            >> >
            >> > Sooo true! I would so have issues saying something in KHMG or JSG...
            >> OTOH, I can speak rejistanian and am understood in it at least a bit by my
            >> SO*, so I guess that is an exception (you can say what you want about its
            >> naïve phonology, it DOES have the advantage of being easy to speak at least
            >> for me).
            >>

            >> My wife knows several words in my various languages, but only
            >> because we use them as names for World of Warcraft characters
            >> and cats.
            >>
            >> -David
            >
            > RPs are a big factor here as well (frex: ymeti). Also computers. The fact that my ancient almost-old-enough-to-drink computer is called sydi (fast) and other boxen have similar ironic names surely helped.
            >
            > Any ideas how to make a SO want to learn enough Rejistanian (or JSG or KHMG) so that we can pretend to completely confuse my parents (who still do not understand the fascination of conlanging). I like practical jokes and while this would be an elaborate one, IMNSCO it would be worth it.

            Your not so what opinion?

            --
            Andreas Johansson

          • Mechthild Czapp
            Message 5 of 15 , May 1, 2010
              -------- Original-Nachricht --------
              > Datum: Sat, 1 May 2010 23:23:20 +0200
              > Von: Andreas Johansson <andreasj@...>
              > An: CONLANG@...
              > Betreff: Re: "Doing Fieldwork on Constructed Languages"

              > On Sat, May 1, 2010 at 11:21 PM, Mechthild Czapp <0zu149@...> wrote:
              > >> An: CONLANG@...
              > >> Betreff: Re: "Doing Fieldwork on Constructed Languages"

              > by
              > any
              > likely
              > >> not

              > >> OTOH, I can speak rejistanian and am understood in it at least a bit by
              > my
              > >> SO*, so I guess that is an exception (you can say what you want about
              > its
              > >> naïve phonology, it DOES have the advantage of being easy to speak at
              > least
              > >> for me).
              > >>

              > >> My wife knows several words in my various languages, but only
              > >> because we use them as names for World of Warcraft characters
              > >> and cats.
              > >>
              > >> -David
              > >
              > > RPs are a big factor here as well (frex: ymeti). Also computers. The
              > fact that my ancient almost-old-enough-to-drink computer is called sydi (fast)
              > and other boxen have similar ironic names surely helped.
              > >
              > > Any ideas how to make a SO want to learn enough Rejistanian (or JSG or
              > KHMG) so that we can pretend to completely confuse my parents (who still do
              > not understand the fascination of conlanging). I like practical jokes and
              > while this would be an elaborate one, IMNSCO it would be worth it.
              > >

              > Your not so what opinion?

              considered or cromulent.

              --
              Sanja'xen mi'lanja'kynha ,mi'la'ohix jilih, nka.

              My life would be easy if it was not so hard!

            • Karen Badham
              Message 6 of 15 , May 1, 2010
                > [snip]
                > Any ideas how to make a SO want to learn enough Rejistanian

                No help here. I still can't get my SO to show any more than a mild interest,
                mostly to appease me. If you figure it out let me know.

                -Karen Terry
                http://anti-moliminous.blogspot.com/
              • Carsten Becker
                Message 7 of 15 , May 1, 2010
                  Am 01.05.2010 23:23, schrieb Andreas Johansson:
                  > On Sat, May 1, 2010 at 11:21 PM, Mechthild Czapp<0zu149@...> wrote:
                  >
                  >> [...] IMNSCO [...]
                  > Your not so what opinion?

                  I was just going to ask the same ;)

                  As for my conlang, it's been in a rather stable state for a while now –
                  except for adding a word to the dictionary once in a while – so that
                  most of the things I have should still be intelligible. The only issue
                  is that sometimes I coined words and forgot to write them into my
                  dictionary. And I do not keep track of constructions I came up with ad
                  hoc. As for fluency, māy, ang ming narāy [sentence]yeas [simple] bata
                  (maras; kovaro). By far not enough to do conversation IMCL¹ however.

                  Carsten

                  ¹) In My ConLang

                  --
                  My Conlang: http://benung.nfshost.com
                  Der Sprachbaukasten: http://sanstitre.nfshost.com/sbk
                  Message 8 of 15 , May 1, 2010
                    > An: CONLANG@...
                    > Betreff: Re: "Doing Fieldwork on Constructed Languages"

                    > Am 01.05.2010 23:23, schrieb Andreas Johansson:
                    > > On Sat, May 1, 2010 at 11:21 PM, Mechthild Czapp<0zu149@...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > >> [...] IMNSCO [...]
                    > > Your not so what opinion?
                    >
                    > I was just going to ask the same ;)
                    >
                    > As for my conlang, it's been in a rather stable state for a while now –
                    > except for adding a word to the dictionary once in a while – so that
                    > most of the things I have should still be intelligible. The only issue
                    > is that sometimes I coined words and forgot to write them into my
                    > dictionary. And I do not keep track of constructions I came up with ad
                    > hoc. As for fluency, māy, ang ming narāy [sentence]yeas [simple] bata
                    > (maras; kovaro). By far not enough to do conversation IMCL¹ however.
                    >
                    > Carsten
                    >
                    > ¹) In My ConLang

                    On IRC and in the conlanger forum, there are occasionally conversations in the respective conlang (glossed/translated for the convenience of others), maybe something like this would be a good idea for the CONLANGanoj as well. Though we should probably have actual conversations offlist due to the post-amount-limits here.

                    IMHO it is neat to improve fluency and vocabulary.

                    If y'all are interested in something like that, I am sure we can do something like that as well.
                    --
                    Sanja'xen mi'lanja'kynha ,mi'la'ohix jilih, nka.

                    My life would be easy if it was not so hard!

                  • Jim Henry
                    Message 9 of 15 , May 1, 2010
                      On Sat, May 1, 2010 at 5:47 PM, Mechthild Czapp <0zu149@...> wrote:

                      > On IRC and in the conlanger forum, there are occasionally conversations in the respective conlang (glossed/translated for the

                      ZBB-gam i mew ru pǒ i ryň-zô tonij-ram herĭs-šam pe krĭ-gjâ-pja suŋ-gju-bô kwǒ.

                      On ZBB, Tony Harris and some other fluent conlangers do that sort of
                      thing as well.

                      > If y'all are interested in something like that, I am sure we can do something like that as well.

                      hîrĭ pǒ mĭ-i vy-van vǒm ryň-zô.

                      I'd like to do that.

                      --
                      Jim Henry
                      http://www.pobox.com/~jimhenry/
                      Message 10 of 15 , May 1, 2010
                        >> Since the author is too [insert adjective here] to brag:
                        >>
                        >> http://specgram.com/CLIX.1/06.lehder.conlang.html
                        >
                        > ROFL. Who's the author? Does he accept donations? :)
                        >
                        > My two favorite parts: the many forms of the awesome term
                        > "constlango"; and this quote: "Your Informant Is Always Right: ... If
                        > presented with a term that strikes you as odd, simply smile and say,
                        > 'Indeed, that is what a trigger system is'"
                        >

                        > --
                        > AA, proud constlangoleur

                        Yes, and I want to add "constlangoleur" to my self-appelation.

                        --
                        JS Bangs
                        jaspax@...

                        "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle" -Philo of Alexandria
                      • Tony Harris
                        Message 11 of 15 , May 1, 2010
                          On 5/1/2010 7:52 PM, Jim Henry wrote:
                          > On Sat, May 1, 2010 at 5:47 PM, Mechthild Czapp<0zu149@...> wrote:
                          >

                          >> On IRC and in the conlanger forum, there are occasionally conversations in the respective conlang (glossed/translated for the
                          >>
                          > ZBB-gam i mew ru pǒ i ryň-zô tonij-ram herĭs-šam pe krĭ-gjâ-pja suŋ-gju-bô kwǒ.
                          >
                          > On ZBB, Tony Harris and some other fluent conlangers do that sort of
                          > thing as well.

                          Vìgô qórsá les ándzelályû zhë ZBB-án. He kólfì, hólef cedzeláyû vá,
                          bhèrzáxne víleláyû zh'Álurhsáxná vùn lyívályená. Tsíáskúk-Prón (Jim
                          Hopkins) sevlá vílô lhenÿ eç vneres zh'ánáskësáxná ttòsílá zh'Áñgëlsáxná
                          ddá zh'Ítlánsáxná.

                          It's been a long time since I visited the ZBB. But yes, when I was
                          there, I sometimes wrote in Alurhsa with a translation. Tsiasuk-Pron
                          (Jim Hopkins) often writes to me even now by email in both English and
                          Itlani.

                          >> If y'all are interested in something like that, I am sure we can do something like that as well.
                          >>
                          > hîrĭ pǒ mĭ-i vy-van vǒm ryň-zô.
                          >
                          > I'd like to do that.

                          Gá sílá shháványáç ásvánálÿ zhë sílá thásádárán ten vneres elçúyálÿ.
                          Mele lhásválÿ fenâ yáshnyets áván ávrejázályën zh'Álurhsán. Enthá
                          vòlánálÿ sevlává kelyâ kólf Jim Hopkins ddá vílâ eç zhë vùnáskárenánÿ
                          zh'Álurhsáxná vùn lyívályená bhésáxne ttòsvì zh'Áñgëlsáxná. Eléyánályá.

                          In two weeks I will finish the two courses I'm taking now. Then I hope
                          to spend more time again working on Alurhsa. Maybe I'll try to do like
                          Jim Hopkins more often and write in Alurhsa with a translation even to
                          the list rather than just in English. We'll see.
                        • Brett Williams
                          Message 12 of 15 , May 1, 2010
                            On Sat, May 1, 2010 at 7:52 PM, Jim Henry <jimhenry1973@...> wrote:
                            > On Sat, May 1, 2010 at 5:47 PM, Mechthild Czapp <0zu149@...> wrote:
                            >
                            >> On IRC and in the conlanger forum, there are occasionally conversations
                            >> in the respective conlang (glossed/translated for the
                            >
                            > ZBB-gam i mew ru pǒ i ryň-zô tonij-ram herĭs-šam pe
                            > krĭ-gjâ-pja suŋ-gju-bô kwǒ.
                            >
                            > On ZBB, Tony Harris and some other fluent conlangers do that
                            > sort of thing as well.
                            >
                            >> If y'all are interested in something like that, I am sure we
                            >> can do something like that as well.
                            >
                            > hîrĭ pǒ mĭ-i vy-van vǒm ryň-zô.
                            >
                            > I'd like to do that.

                            .i mi cumki stidi lo nu pilno la'o .gy. alt.language.artificial .gy.
                            noi ji'i no da ca pilno zi'e noi mi roldei tcidu

                            I suggest the possibility of using alt.language.artificial, which is
                            now used by approximately zero people and which I read every day.

                            .i mi traji nelci lo nu tcidu fi'o bangu gy zy by noi mi masno .u'u tadni

                            I especially like to read GZB which I'm slowly (sorry) studying.

                            .i .ai mi jbobau pilno kansa .i je mi ba pilno lo da'i selfi'i be mi runbau

                            I'll participate by using Lojban, and in the future perhaps I'll use
                            an artificial language of my own invention.

                            mi'e la stela selckiku mu'o

                            I'm stela selckiku, over.

                            <3,
                            mungojelly
                            aka
                            selckiku
                            aka
                            bret-ram
                          • Sai Emrys
                            Message 13 of 15 , May 2, 2010
                              Re. spice learning conlangs: "get one who's a conlanger" seems to be
                              the only extant solution.

                              Which leaves, basically, the Rempts and Alex&me (though we lack spicehood).

                              Anyone have exceptions - i.e. other people in a Relationship with you
                              who have participated in your conlanging (creating or learning) a
                              non-trivial amount?

                              - Sai