Weird Idea: Spoken Relay

  • Mechthild Czapp
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 5, 2010
      Hejida hakim,

      I had an idea: During this relay, I once again realized how little of the languages we actually speak. And the lack of sleep and caffeine made a relay, which does not relay texts but audioclips or maybe video in the case of sign languages. Of course this means that the phonology and maybe orthography in the conlang has to be included in the mail to the next person, but IMHO, this just makes it more interesting. As would after the relay to listen to the various conlangs which were used.

      So, what do you think of the idea? Bad? Very bad? Worse? ;)

      Va'il veka
      ~Mechthild

      --
      Bitte beachten Sie, dass nach den deutschen Gesetzen zur Vorratsdatenspeicherung jeder Kontakt mit mir 6 Monate lang gespeichert wird.
      Please take into account that according the German data retention laws, every contact with me is stored for 6 months.

      jetzt kostenlos herunterladen! http://portal.gmx.net/de/go/atbrowser
    • Larry Sulky
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 5, 2010
        On Fri, Mar 5, 2010 at 10:40 PM, Mechthild Czapp <0zu149@...> wrote:

        > Hejida hakim,
        >
        > I had an idea: During this relay, I once again realized how little of the
        > languages we actually speak. And the lack of sleep and caffeine made a
        > relay, which does not relay texts but audioclips or maybe video in the case
        > of sign languages. Of course this means that the phonology and maybe
        > orthography in the conlang has to be included in the mail to the next
        > person, but IMHO, this just makes it more interesting. As would after the
        > relay to listen to the various conlangs which were used.
        >
        > So, what do you think of the idea? Bad? Very bad? Worse? ;)
        >
        > Va'il veka
        > ~Mechthild
        >

        > I've always thought of my conlangs as primarily spoken. This would be
        interesting, Mechthild.
        ---larry
      • Adam Walker
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 5, 2010
          I think it sounds very interesting. I always enjoy hearing conlangs
          spoken, but I could not participate. I do not have the stuff to do a
          recording. Adam who is listening to his Hokkien cds

          On 3/5/10, Mechthild Czapp <0zu149@...> wrote:
          > Hejida hakim,
          >
          > I had an idea: During this relay, I once again realized how little of the
          > languages we actually speak. And the lack of sleep and caffeine made a
          > relay, which does not relay texts but audioclips or maybe video in the case
          > of sign languages. Of course this means that the phonology and maybe
          > orthography in the conlang has to be included in the mail to the next
          > person, but IMHO, this just makes it more interesting. As would after the
          > relay to listen to the various conlangs which were used.
          >
          > So, what do you think of the idea? Bad? Very bad? Worse? ;)
          >
          > Va'il veka
          > ~Mechthild
          >
          > --
          > Bitte beachten Sie, dass nach den deutschen Gesetzen zur
          > Vorratsdatenspeicherung jeder Kontakt mit mir 6 Monate lang gespeichert
          > wird.
          > Please take into account that according the German data retention laws,
          > every contact with me is stored for 6 months.
          >

          > Sicherer, schneller und einfacher. Die aktuellen Internet-Browser -
          > jetzt kostenlos herunterladen! http://portal.gmx.net/de/go/atbrowser

          --
          Vote for TIM URBAN as the next American Idol!
        • Larry Sulky
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 5, 2010
            On Fri, Mar 5, 2010 at 10:57 PM, Adam Walker <carraxan@...> wrote:

            > I think it sounds very interesting. I always enjoy hearing conlangs
            > spoken, but I could not participate. I do not have the stuff to do a
            > recording. Adam who is listening to his Hokkien cds
            >
            > Your computer does not have even a built-in microphone?
          • Adam Walker
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 5, 2010
              No. My puter is an ancient beast cast off by a relative who had a mic
              for this box but kept just that one piece. Adam

              On 3/5/10, Larry Sulky <larrysulky@...> wrote:
              > On Fri, Mar 5, 2010 at 10:57 PM, Adam Walker <carraxan@...> wrote:
              >
              >> I think it sounds very interesting. I always enjoy hearing conlangs
              >> spoken, but I could not participate. I do not have the stuff to do a
              >> recording. Adam who is listening to his Hokkien cds
              >>
              >> Your computer does not have even a built-in microphone?

              --
              Vote for TIM URBAN as the next American Idol!
            • Daniel Bowman
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 5, 2010
                On Fri, Mar 5, 2010 at 8:40 PM, Mechthild Czapp <0zu149@...> wrote:

                > Hejida hakim,
                >
                > I had an idea: During this relay, I once again realized how little of the
                > languages we actually speak. And the lack of sleep and caffeine made a
                > relay, which does not relay texts but audioclips or maybe video in the case
                > of sign languages. Of course this means that the phonology and maybe
                > orthography in the conlang has to be included in the mail to the next
                > person, but IMHO, this just makes it more interesting. As would after the
                > relay to listen to the various conlangs which were used.
                >
                > So, what do you think of the idea? Bad? Very bad? Worse? ;)

                I think it's a very interesting idea. Whether part of the relay or not, I'd
                really like a chance to hear the same text read in many different conlangs.
                I was idly thinking about how neat it would be to have a common text (the
                Babel one?) posted on a website, read in as many conlangs as were submitted.

                Or just a space where anyone could post audio/video files of their conlangs
                being spoken.

                Unfortunately, I don't have the web expertise or the time to set this up.

                As an aside, I've begun practicing Angosey in the car.
                --
                Ayryea zakayro al Gayaltha
                al halath zirathna eme ndatsa.
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 5, 2010
                  > So, what do you think of the idea? Bad? Very bad? Worse? ;)

                  I think in order to pull this off well, the relay text would have to be a
                  little longer than usual. I remember watching people read their relay texts
                  out a LCC3 and each one took not much time at all. That said, the text was
                  eight lines long. Maybe the phoneticians in the house, who are legion, will
                  be find working with a 10 second sample of a conlang for a couple days.
                  Anyway - It's just a thought.

                  [Thanks for mentioning the possibility of signed languages!]