Re: Conlang translation word for today: terremoto

  • Matthew Turnbull
    Message 1 of 24 , Mar 2 6:18 AM
      Jorayn
      papaàrrot mind
      papa-arro-t m-ind
      shake-3s.pres.cont-NOM here-place

      literally "here's shaking" but Jorayn speakers would think that's pretty
      silly, and might even use it as a joke, like when pigs fly. After all
      they're supposed to live in about the same place I do (Winnipeg, MB) and the
      fact that the whole country is basically one huge slab of rock really
      dosen't encourage earthquakes, and I myself have never felt or even heard of
      one strong enough to precieve happening herebouts.

      On Sun, Feb 28, 2010 at 3:41 PM, Dana Nutter <deinx.nxtxr@...>wrote:

      > SASXSEK = sasxvibo
      >
      > Deini = iarddonda?

      > <deinx nxtxr>[Dana Nutter]
      >
      > LI SASXSEK LATIS. (http://www.sasxsek.org)

    • <deinx nxtxr>
      Message 2 of 24 , Mar 2 9:25 AM
        I'm really starting to scare myself. Just checked into my hotel
        without uttering a single word of English, and now that I think about
        it the only English I've spoken all day was a phone call to my bank
        earlier. Immersion is working well though am catching myself mixing up
        Español with Chileno.

        -----------------------------
        Dana Nutter
        (Enviado per mi iPod)

        On Mar 1, 2010, at 9:05, Larry Sulky <larrysulky@...> wrote:

        > Qakwan:
        >
        > "sweltetemei" = 'earthquake'
        >
        > A blended word, from:
        >
        > "swelei" = 'earth; dirt; soil; ground'
        > "tetemei" = 'something shaken' < "tetemau" = 'to shake (something)'
        >
        > ---larry
      • Benct Philip Jonsson
        Message 3 of 24 , Mar 3 11:18 AM
          Lars Finsen skrev:
          > Benct Philip Jonsson wrote:
          >
          >> quoting me:
          >>> The Urianian in fact is borrowed from the Suraetuan, and the Azurian
          >>> from an earlier stage of Urianian. Earthquakes occur on the islands,
          >>> and were a novelty for the immigrant forefathers of the Urianians and
          >>> Azurians. Thus they had to ask the natives what this was all about.
          >>
          >> Shouldn't then the Azurian and Urianian word be derived
          >> from the Suraetuan phrase for "just the usual thing"? ;-)
          >
          > You mean like the African rivers and mountains called "That's where my
          > brother got eaten by a crocodile two years ago" or "Quit asking so many
          > silly questions" or that sort of thing?

          Yeah! There were even two rivers in Senegal which were
          called Silo and Dilo on the maps, until someone learnt the
          real names and figured out that those fake ones were
          actually the local pidgin reflex of "C'est l'eau" and
          "De l'eau", or so I've read.

          /BPJ
        • Kenner Gordon
          Message 4 of 24 , Mar 3 11:35 AM
            Theadisch: Terramoht

            --
            I don't really get the point of signatures.
          • Douglas Koller
            Message 5 of 24 , Mar 9 8:39 AM
              I know it's been a while, but just to say we did:

              Géarthnuns:

              zaraumagals

              zars - earth; magal - shake; uninspired, but it *was* in the lexicon.

              Message 6 of 24 , Mar 9 10:53 AM
                ----- "taliesin the storyteller" <taliesin-conlang@...> wrote:

                > Taruven:
                > suán = wave

                Géarthnuns:

                shens - wave

                > suánarrinn = tsunami (wave + too big)

                Since I plunked my con-island in the Sea of Japan, I didn't feel bad about calquing this one from Japanese:

                chezçöraushens - port-wave

                > myan = earthquake (earth + wave)

                zaraumagals (discussed before)

                > vyan = avalanche (mountain + wave)

                three types:

                knönazçaks (snowslide) knöns - snow
                gakfedhölízçaks (rockslide) kfedhöls - stone
                zhangarauzçaks (landslide) zhangars - land

                I don't know what "zçaks" means, yet (not "slide").

                Kou
              • Lars Finsen
                Message 7 of 24 , Mar 9 1:11 PM
                  Den 3. mar. 2010 kl. 20.18 skreiv Benct Philip Jonsson:

                  > Yeah! There were even two rivers in Senegal which were
                  > called Silo and Dilo on the maps, until someone learnt the
                  > real names and figured out that those fake ones were
                  > actually the local pidgin reflex of "C'est l'eau" and
                  > "De l'eau", or so I've read.

                  That sort of thing has happened before, too. Lots of rivers in Europe
                  can be etymologised to "the water" or "the wet one" or similar.

                  LEF