Conlanger blog aggregation service is now online

  • Language Creation Society
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 25, 2009
      http://aggregator.conlang.org/
      http://aggregator.conlang.org/?feed=rss2

      This is exclusively a syndication blog. If you want to have yours
      added to the stream, just email the RSS/Atom feed link to
      lcs@....

      The feed link you use must contain only conlanging related posts.
      Nothing personal, off topic, etc. please. You can do this in most blog
      engines by making a category specifically for you conlang related
      content, and giving us that URL.

      The only current category this blog has is “word of the day” (wotd)
      and "meta". If you’d like to suggest a new category for posts to be
      sorted into, email us.

      Enjoy.

      - Sai
    • Keith Gaughan
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 25, 2009
        On Fri, Dec 25, 2009 at 11:13:49AM -0800, Language Creation Society wrote:

        > http://aggregator.conlang.org/
        > http://aggregator.conlang.org/?feed=rss2
        >
        > This is exclusively a syndication blog. If you want to have yours
        > added to the stream, just email the RSS/Atom feed link to
        > lcs@....
        >
        > The feed link you use must contain only conlanging related posts.
        > Nothing personal, off topic, etc. please. You can do this in most blog
        > engines by making a category specifically for you conlang related
        > content, and giving us that URL.
        >
        > The only current category this blog has is “word of the day” (wotd)
        > and "meta". If you’d like to suggest a new category for posts to be
        > sorted into, email us.

        Could I suggest using Planet Venus[1] rather than WordPress? It's a
        little more difficult to set up initially, but it's much less likely to
        cripple the server, and it's solid, well-written code. I've a lot of
        experience here - I'm the senior software developer with a hosting
        company, and WordPress's lack of scalability on even basic blogs is an
        habitual problem.

        K.

        [1] http://intertwingly.net/code/venus/

        --
        Keith Gaughan - k@... - http://stereochro.me/ - CF9F6473
        Anybody can become angry - that is easy,
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 25, 2009
          On Fri, Dec 25, 2009 at 11:13 AM, Language Creation Society
          <lcs@...> wrote:
          > The feed link you use must contain only conlanging related posts.
          > Nothing personal, off topic, etc. please.

          What about personal/off-topic posts that are bilingual in English and
          a conlang? Asked another way, is this an aggregation of any conlangish
          post, or only posts *about* conlanging?

          --
          AA
        • taliesin the storyteller
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 25, 2009
            Keith Gaughan wrote:
            > On Fri, Dec 25, 2009 at 11:13:49AM -0800, Language Creation Society wrote:
            >
            >> http://aggregator.conlang.org/
            >> http://aggregator.conlang.org/?feed=rss2
            >>
            >> This is exclusively a syndication blog.
            >
            > Could I suggest using Planet Venus[1] rather than WordPress?

            How is Venus different from Planet 2.0? I'm familiar with the latter.

            Anyway, I aggregate some things through Yahoo! Pipes:

            http://pipes.yahoo.com/kaleissin/conlang

            t.
          • Keith Gaughan
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 25, 2009
              On Sat, Dec 26, 2009 at 02:46:21AM +0100, taliesin the storyteller wrote:
              > Keith Gaughan wrote:
              > > On Fri, Dec 25, 2009 at 11:13:49AM -0800, Language Creation Society wrote:
              > >
              > >> http://aggregator.conlang.org/
              > >> http://aggregator.conlang.org/?feed=rss2
              > >>
              > >> This is exclusively a syndication blog.
              > >
              > > Could I suggest using Planet Venus[1] rather than WordPress?
              >
              > How is Venus different from Planet 2.0? I'm familiar with the latter.

              It's not all that terribly different - Planet Venus is Sam Ruby's fork
              of Planet 2.0. It can be thought of as a cleanup of the long-time
              unmaintained Planet 2.0, fixing bugs, refactoring the code to make it
              more maintainable, better spam handling, markup normalisation, less
              whining from more recent versions of Python, &c. However, moving from
              Planet 2.0 to Planet Venus is mainly just some template tweaking.

              --
              Keith Gaughan - k@... - http://stereochro.me/ - CF9F6473
              Suspicion breeds Confidence!
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 26, 2009
                I'm using the FeedWordPress plugin for this. It claims to be better
                than Planet, though really my reason for doing so was just that the
                two seemed equal and I prefer not to have unnecessarily complex
                setups. (E.g. the LCS podcast is WordPress also - it's easier if
                things are familiar.)

                There's no spam relevance, since we don't accept comments on
                syndicated posts (those that do are routed through Akismet) and
                presumably our feeds are trusted.

                Anyway, if anyone can give a good reason why some other solution is
                better than FeedWordPress, and is willing to install it, I'll give ssh
                access.

                - Sai
              • Sai Emrys
                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 26, 2009
                  On Fri, Dec 25, 2009 at 12:58 PM, Keith Gaughan <k@...> wrote:
                  > WordPress's lack of scalability on even basic blogs is an
                  > habitual problem.

                  What lack of scalability?

                  E.g. ours is fully cached…

                  - Sai
                • Sai Emrys
                  Message 8 of 10 , Dec 26, 2009
                    On Fri, Dec 25, 2009 at 1:09 PM, Arthaey Angosii <arthaey@...> wrote:
                    > On Fri, Dec 25, 2009 at 11:13 AM, Language Creation Society
                    > <lcs@...> wrote:
                    >> The feed link you use must contain only conlanging related posts.
                    >> Nothing personal, off topic, etc. please.
                    >
                    > What about personal/off-topic posts that are bilingual in English and
                    > a conlang? Asked another way, is this an aggregation of any conlangish
                    > post, or only posts *about* conlanging?

                    IMO (but open to others), these are worth including but also should be
                    tagged distinctly, so that people can opt out if they only want
                    conlang-topical stuff.

                    - Sai
                  • Keith Gaughan
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 2, 2010
                      Sorry for the late reply.

                      On Sat, Dec 26, 2009 at 08:16:17AM -0800, Sai Emrys wrote:

                      > I'm using the FeedWordPress plugin for this. It claims to be better
                      > than Planet, though really my reason for doing so was just that the
                      > two seemed equal and I prefer not to have unnecessarily complex
                      > setups. (E.g. the LCS podcast is WordPress also - it's easier if
                      > things are familiar.)

                      More flexible, but not necessarily 'better'. Planet uses UPF, which is
                      about the best feed parser out there in any language, whereas
                      FeedWordPress uses MagpieRSS, which was good at the time, but has been
                      superseded by SimplePie, a superior fork of MagpieRSS, though good as
                      SimplePie is, it's not a patch on UPF. FeedWordPress is better in that
                      it's 'live' and has a nice backend for registering new feeds and doesn't
                      require a cronjob to be set up to check and parse feeds. Planet, OTOH,
                      generates flat HTML, runs as a cronjob, and adding new feeds means
                      editing a configuration file.

                      Planet's dead simple though - you just edit the config file to say where
                      the templates and cache are, where to put the generate HTML, and what
                      feeds to aggregate. As long as the directory permissions are correct,
                      it's pretty much fire and forget.

                      > Anyway, if anyone can give a good reason why some other solution is
                      > better than FeedWordPress, and is willing to install it, I'll give ssh
                      > access.

                      While probably not a huge consideration, Planet is very frugal in terms
                      of resources and has an excellent feed parser, whereas unless you're
                      using Super Cache[1] (and you should regardless), WP is a bit of a dog,
                      and MagpieRSS doesn't get things like xml:base right. FeedWordPress
                      looks like a comparatively well-written WP plugin though.

                      [1] http://ocaoimh.ie/wp-super-cache/

                      K.

                      --
                      Keith Gaughan - k@... - http://stereochro.me/ - CF9F6473
                      There are more love songs than anything else. If songs could make you do
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jan 3, 2010
                        FWIW, we are using SuperCache.

                        I'll put it this way - it's not the effort to *me* for me to change
                        this. However, if anyone feels like taking charge of the project -
                        something that might be simplified by using other software that you're
                        familiar with and does the job well - then you're certainly welcome to
                        do so. I'll give you SSH/SFTP access and the list of RSS feeds, and
                        you do the rest. ;-)

                        - Sai