New Blog Post: Moten Part I

  • Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 1, 2009
      Everyone,

      I've just started a new series of blogs about my conlangs. Since my webpage
      is hopelessly outdated and I can't seem to advance fast enough in
      redesigning it, I've decided to use my blog to publish my conlangs'
      grammars. Today I published the first of such posts, entitled "Moten, Part
      I: Background and Phonology". To the more seasoned members of this list,
      this might feel like a blast from the past, since Moten was a language I had
      already designed before even joining the list (back in 1998!). But even
      today it is still the language I developed the most, and I feel it deserves
      being the first one I present in my blog.

      I will try to add new conlang posts regularly, but for now please read what
      I've written (use the link in my signature, or go directly to that
      particular post at
      http://christophoronomicon.blogspot.com/2009/12/moten-part-i-background-and-phonology.html),
      and don't hesitate to comment on it, whether here or on my blog!

      Enjoy!
      --
      Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets.

      http://www.christophoronomicon.nl/
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 1, 2009
        --- On Tue, 12/1/09, Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets <tsela.cg@...> wrote:

        > I've just started a new series of blogs about my conlangs.
        > Since my webpage
        > is hopelessly outdated and I can't seem to advance fast
        > enough in
        > redesigning it, I've decided to use my blog to publish my
        > conlangs'
        > grammars. Today I published the first of such posts,
        > entitled "Moten, Part
        > I: Background and Phonology". To the more seasoned members
        > of this list,
        > this might feel like a blast from the past, since Moten was
        > a language I had
        > already designed before even joining the list (back in
        > 1998!). But even
        > today it is still the language I developed the most, and I
        > feel it deserves
        > being the first one I present in my blog.

        The back-story is charming! I'm looking forward to more information.
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 1, 2009
          Hallo!

          On Tue, 1 Dec 2009 08:26:13 -0800, Roger Mills wrote:

          > --- On Tue, 12/1/09, Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets <tsela.cg@...>
          > wrote:
          >
          > > I've just started a new series of blogs about my conlangs.
          > > [...]
          >
          > The back-story is charming! I'm looking forward to more information.

          Seconded. I have seen several good back-stories for conlangs,
          but this one is indeed charming and original. Also, what is
          to be read on the blog looks nice and interesting.

          ... brought to you by the Weeping Elf
        • Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 3, 2009
            2009/12/1 Jörg Rhiemeier <joerg_rhiemeier@...>

            > Hallo!
            >
            > On Tue, 1 Dec 2009 08:26:13 -0800, Roger Mills wrote:
            >
            > > --- On Tue, 12/1/09, Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets <tsela.cg@...>
            > > wrote:
            > >
            > > > I've just started a new series of blogs about my conlangs.
            > > > [...]
            > >
            > > The back-story is charming! I'm looking forward to more information.
            >
            > Seconded. I have seen several good back-stories for conlangs,
            > but this one is indeed charming and original.

            Thanks to both of you. That back-story has always been part of the language,
            but it's the first time I articulate it in a clear way. I have mentioned it
            before, but it was always in passing (although I remember a thread with
            Sally Caves where we wondered whether that poor C.G. could be one of those
            people the Teonim kidnap - usually by negligence - and then release on Earth
            in another place and time. If that was so, Moten could actually be a
            language spoken in the far past, or even in the far future!). The advantage
            of such a back-story is that I can explain the bits of grammar tweaking I've
            been doing since first describing the language by explaining that C.G.'s
            recollection of his language, as good as it is, is not perfect, especially
            since he spent years speaking only French. Just like I explained away the
            phonotactics-breaking loanwords as being words borrowed after C.G. had
            already learned French and English (whereas in reality, what happened is
            that I created those borrowings before I had a good handle of the
            phonotactics of Moten ;) ).

            In any case, I'm happy that people like it. It's a bit of fiction that grew
            up a bit organically, without me really designing it on purpose, so I'm
            happy it is still appreciated.

            > Also, what is
            > to be read on the blog looks nice and interesting.

            Thanks! I don't write as much on this blog as I'd like to (although believe
            it or not, but I've got something like 30 posts in draft!), but when I do, I
            try to get it right :) .

            The next post about Moten should be published next week. I've already
            written quite a bit of it, but I'm still far from done.