Re: Quenya (was: Sidhe language, and elflangs in general)

  • Mark J. Reed
    Message 1 of 36 , Nov 2, 2009
      On Mon, Nov 2, 2009 at 4:40 AM, Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets
      <tsela.cg@...> wrote:
      > And indeed, Frodo's greeting (which he may just have learned whole, as a set
      > phrase, like lawyers do with Latin phrases) was like greeting Italians using
      > Classical Latin (and the reply he got from the Elf can actually be
      > interpreted as sarcastic rather than laudative ;) ).

      I certainly interpreted it as sarcasm, even at the tender age at which
      I first read the stories. I've always assumed that was the intended
      reading. But of course that's the thing about sarcasm... it's very
      hard to prove, absent vocal inflection.

      --
      Mark J. Reed <markjreed@...>
    • Mark J. Reed