Re: Quenya

  • Peter Bleackley
    Message 1 of 36 , Nov 2, 2009
      staving Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets:

      > He was probably taught both Elvish languages by Bilbo, but there is no
      > indication that he was *fluent* in them. Indeed, the few indications in the
      > books seem to show that he didn't really understand spoken Sindarin, and
      > there's no indication that he understood Galadriel's Lament literally
      > (rather, the words imprinted their meaning directly to his consciousness,
      > probably a side-effect of Galadriel's telepathic abilities).

      I seem to remember that Frodo didn't understand Galadriel's lament at
      the time, but that the magical properties of Quenya meant that it stuck
      in his mind and he could remember it phonetically. He studied enough
      Quenya to translate it at a later date.

      Pete
    • Mark J. Reed
      Message 36 of 36 , Nov 2, 2009
        On Mon, Nov 2, 2009 at 4:40 AM, Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets
        <tsela.cg@...> wrote:
        > And indeed, Frodo's greeting (which he may just have learned whole, as a set
        > phrase, like lawyers do with Latin phrases) was like greeting Italians using
        > Classical Latin (and the reply he got from the Elf can actually be
        > interpreted as sarcastic rather than laudative ;) ).

        I certainly interpreted it as sarcasm, even at the tender age at which
        I first read the stories. I've always assumed that was the intended
        reading. But of course that's the thing about sarcasm... it's very
        hard to prove, absent vocal inflection.

        --
        Mark J. Reed <markjreed@...>