Conlang copyright

  • Daniel Bowman
    Message 1 of 169 , Sep 21, 2009
      As my previous post mentioned, I created a conlang for my friend for her
      novel last Friday. Originally, I was going to translate a few lines for her
      in Angosey, but I was afraid that, were she to publish her novel, the
      publisher would then own the rights to my language. Furthermore, if I
      wanted to publish a story of my own that included Angosey after she
      publishes hers, I might have legal action taken against me.

      Is this a valid fear? Has anyone else encountered this sort of problem?
    • Galen Buttitta
      Message 169 of 169 , May 7, 2014
        My apologies for being so late on the response here, but I found the
        Copyright Office rejection for D'ni:

        <
        http://www.ipmall.info/hosted_resources/CopyrightAppeals/2004/Mark%20Hendricksen.pdf