Re: Qakwan

  • caeruleancentaur
    Message 1 of 41 , Jun 1, 2009
      >--- In conlang@yahoogroups.com, Benct Philip Jonsson <bpj@...> wrote:
      >
      > I see that pernicious habit started by the
      > Albanians and the Chinese of letting _q_
      > stand for front-of-velar sounds is spreading!
      > Why, there are so many nice throaty sounds it
      > can be made to stand for! ;-)
      >
      > (NB ironicon! I know I'm an old stodge!)

      Senjecas has 12 pairs of voiced and unvoiced consonants. The palatal clan contains /c/ and /J\/ (/k/ and /g/ allophonically), /C/ and /j\/, /j_0/ and /j/.

      /c/ = <k>, although I use the `kra' formerly used in the Kalaallisut alphabet.
      /J\/ = <g>
      /C/ = <x>
      /j\/ = <q>

      Charlie
    • Lars Finsen
      Message 41 of 41 , Jun 6, 2009
        I wrote:

        > I have provisionally been using <q> for /g_w/ in Old Urianian (and
        > c for /k_w/), but I plan to change it to <j>, because I think they
        > will have turned to fricatives already by the time the Urianians
        > adopted Latin characters. There seems to be no place for q in
        > Urianian. Neither Scollerinian nor Azurian have it (except in some
        > foreign words), nor does Suraetua, but the earlier stages of the
        > latter (such as Amhanara) seems to need such things. They had no
        > writing, of course. But I need something to represent their speech.

        I think Urianians would begin to adopt Latin characters during the
        last 3 centuries of the 1st millennium, with the conversion gaining
        speed after the turn of the millennium. They would then use
        AEIOVMNLRSBDGPTH directly for directly corresponding sounds, and for
        the others, K for /k/, C for /C/, Y for /w/, F for /B/, Z for /D/,
        and I also for /j\/. A little strange, but I have to infer this from
        my name list. U and J would then be adopted later, as in the rest of
        Europe. Or possibly they would have a U/V alternation from the start.

        Before this, they used the Mait, a rune-like script, which seems to
        derive from the Phoenician alphabet. I've been making an Older Mait
        today that is closer to the Phoenician forms than the Later Mait,
        which was used in parallel with Latin script for centuries. But it
        seems impossible to create a font out of this if you can't sit
        fiddling with it for hours. Perhaps it would help if I had a proper
        drawing tablet. Ah, life was so much easier before things got so
        digital...

        LEF