Re: Lang of the Lost?

  • <deinx nxtxr>
    Message 1 of 12 , May 31, 2009
      Garth Wallace wrote:
      > On Sun, May 31, 2009 at 1:30 PM, Eugene Oh <un.doing@...> wrote:
      >> Well, this list definitely has more than five people. (:
      >> FWIW a quick Google turned up the Pakuni dictionary here: <
      >> http://personal.linkline.com/enik1138/html/pakuni.htm>
      >>
      >> But I scarcely glanced at it because the white-on-black + neon green design
      >> hurt my eyes as soon as the page loaded. :(
      >
      > If you think that's bad, never go browse around MySpace. You'll
      > probably go permanently blind.

      If the "music" doesn't scare you away first!
    • Donald Boozer
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 1, 2009
        I fondly remember Pakuni (not speak it ;-) just remember seeing it) on television when I was a kid. Had to love those Sleestak, too. Plus, I even remember this article when it appeared in TV Guide:

        http://personal.linkline.com/enik1138/images/Pakuni%20language%20TVGuide%20article.jpg

        that's linked on the previously-mentioned site.

        I had forgotten all about it until I was putting together the Conlanger's Library. I made sure to link to the TV Guide article on the Magazine Articles page: http://library.conlang.org/articles/magazine.html

        So, I guess the conlanging bug did bite me before I read The Lord of The Rings. I always count Tolkien as my primary influence (and he was pivotal), but now I have to revise and cite both Dr. Seuss's On Beyond Zebra AND Pakuni as what pushed me in that direction.

        The linguist who created Pakuni was Victoria Fromkin: http://www.linguistics.ucla.edu/people/fromkin/fromkin.htm
      • <deinx nxtxr>
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 1, 2009
          Eugene Oh wrote:
          > Well, this list definitely has more than five people. (:
          > FWIW a quick Google turned up the Pakuni dictionary here: <
          > http://personal.linkline.com/enik1138/html/pakuni.htm>
          >
          > But I scarcely glanced at it because the white-on-black + neon green design
          > hurt my eyes as soon as the page loaded. :(

          It's only really a problem because we seem to have standardized on
          black-on-white for the WYSIWYG effect. It's the switching between
          the dark-on-light and light-on-dark that really hurts my eyes.
          Otherwise I find the dark backgrounds to be much easier on my eyes,
          which have already been ruined from too many years of staring at
          CRT's. This is one of the reasons I tend to give my webpages a
          "soft" appearance, with many elements having just enough contrast to
          be noticeable.
        • Benct Philip Jonsson
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 1, 2009
            On 2009-06-01 Donald Boozer wrote:
            > The linguist who created Pakuni was Victoria Fromkin:
            > http://www.linguistics.ucla.edu/people/fromkin/fromkin.htm

            One more serious linguist outed as a conlanger.
            Who'd thought! :-)

            /BP
          • Mark J. Reed
            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 1, 2009
              On Mon, Jun 1, 2009 at 1:17 PM, Benct Philip Jonsson <bpj@...> wrote:
              > One more serious linguist outed as a conlanger.

              Another UCLA linguist, yet. Isn't that where Okrand's from?

              --
              Mark J. Reed <markjreed@...>
            • M.S. Soderquist
              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 1, 2009
                Eugene Oh wrote:
                > Well, this list definitely has more than five people. (:
                > FWIW a quick Google turned up the Pakuni dictionary here: <
                > http://personal.linkline.com/enik1138/html/pakuni.htm>
                >
                > But I scarcely glanced at it because the white-on-black + neon green design
                > hurt my eyes as soon as the page loaded. :(
                >
                > Eugene

                I had the same thought about the list being far more than five people.
                I guess I am strange in that I prefer light colored text on dark
                backgrounds, so I appreciated that much. The green didn't do anything
                for me though. :)

                M.
                Message 7 of 12 , Jun 1, 2009
                  Mark Reed wrote:

                  On Mon, Jun 1, 2009 at 1:17 PM, Benct Philip Jonsson <bpj@...> wrote:
                  > One more serious linguist outed as a conlanger.

                  Another UCLA linguist, yet.  Isn't that where Okrand's from?
                  ============================

                  Perhaps it wasn't widely known, but she devised a vampire language for the movie "Blade". But _we_ knew!! Back in 2001 Matt Pearson (also a UCLAn!) was called on to revive the language for a sequel, and asked the List for help (in the absence of any of Ms. Fromkin's notes).  A very interesting thread developed...

                  http://listserv.brown.edu/archives/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0101C&L=CONLANG&D=0&P=25285
                • Garth Wallace
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jun 1, 2009
                    On Mon, Jun 1, 2009 at 11:25 AM, Roger Mills <romiltz@...> wrote:
                    > Mark Reed wrote:
                    >
                    > On Mon, Jun 1, 2009 at 1:17 PM, Benct Philip Jonsson <bpj@...> wrote:
                    >> One more serious linguist outed as a conlanger.
                    >
                    > Another UCLA linguist, yet.  Isn't that where Okrand's from?
                    >
                    > Perhaps it wasn't widely known, but she devised a vampire language for the movie "Blade". But _we_ knew!! Back in 2001 Matt Pearson (also a UCLAn!) was called on to revive the language for a sequel, and asked the List for help (in the absence of any of Ms. Fromkin's notes).  A very interesting thread developed...
                    >
                    > http://listserv.brown.edu/archives/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0101C&L=CONLANG&D=0&P=25285

                    I wonder how the reconstructed Vampiric turned out. I guess I'll have
                    to watch Blade 2.